FORUMS: list search recent posts

Banding in FCP 7 with Mountain Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Sims
Banding in FCP 7 with Mountain Lion
on Oct 14, 2012 at 7:36:25 pm

Anyone know of a fix?

While the programs still work fine, one fundamental change that Apple has made in Mountain Lion is to push more of the responsibility for displaying the image on the computer monitor to the GPU of the graphics card. Previously these responsibilities were shared with the CPU. Therefore, if you have an older graphics card (even if it is fully compatible with FCPX, as ours are), FCP6/7 has a difficult time playing back 1080 video in the Canvas window (at any size), without breaking up when there is some degree of movement in the video image.The screen cannot refresh quickly enough to draw the video image without showing horizontal banding and some minor digital garbage.

Rest assured that the render files are clean and the output file will be fine. Once exported, a self-contained .mov file will playback fine in Quicktime, showing no banding where there previously was banding when viewed in FCP. This is an issue with display only. If you can live with it, fine. But it is rather distracting while editing.

Can someone please address or advise??? I've tried on my brand new, just before they discontiued, 17 inch MacBook Pro as well and same EXACT issue.

I've also tried the 5880 Radeon card and NVIDIA 4000 card ... same issues.

Do you think upgrading to the modified Nvidia GTX 570 2.5GB card from mac video card guys on eBay would help?

Of course I can down grade to Snow Leopard, but are there any other workarounds? Like changing graphics card?

Return to posts index

Radim Palus
Re: Banding in FCP 7 with Mountain Lion
on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:41:29 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem. I use Radeon 5770. Would be nice to have another solution than downgrading to Snow Leopard or Final Cut Pro X.

Also I observed that it does the same problem when I switch the playback quality to Dynamic or Medium, so I wouldn't say it is because of a weak GPU.

Best Regards!

Radim

Return to posts index

Christopher Sims
on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:22:45 am

Does anybody NOT have this problem under Mountain Lion?

Return to posts index

David Rosenthal
on Jan 9, 2013 at 12:15:59 am

having problems with fcp with (ml)

Return to posts index

Steve Loh
on May 24, 2013 at 5:12:13 pm

Anyone ever find a fix for this? I've got the same issue with Mountain Lion.

Return to posts index

Christopher Sims
on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:18:48 pm

I have tried 4 different graphics cards now ... same issues. I'm on the NVIDIA GTX 285 which is the smoothest one so far. Still banding and tearing of image playback though. Sucks nobody is really talking about it. I guess some people dont have this issue or they havent upgraded like us fools.

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Feb 1, 2014 at 2:37:37 am

In OS X 10.8.5, did clean install....was having banding with a Radeon 5770. Switched to a Geforce GTX 760...still the same banding. But it doesn't have any banding when played fullscreen/desktop preview. I guess it's having problems with the scaling. ****ing sucks. Might finally be time to just leave FCP 7 behind for good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]