FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Data Rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Richards
Export Data Rates
on Oct 14, 2012 at 1:19:32 am

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some kind of primer for the number that should go into this field: low rez vs. high rez, small kbps vs large kbps. Although I've been successful with the exports I'm really not all the sure what number is supposed to go in this field. I was taught a long time that to export an mov or mp4 I should put in @2000kbps. However when I input this number the sequence seems to take a really long time to export.
I can go on but I'm pretty sure you'll get what I'm saying.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Export Data Rates
on Oct 14, 2012 at 3:12:59 am

I use the specs for Vimeo as a good reference for data rates that work for internet uploads. Without knowing what you compressed output is for it is hard to advise what data rate is appropriate.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Oct 14, 2012 at 12:56:17 pm

Sorry, you're right. I'm exporting a lot of 30 and 60 minute shows to be aired by numerous television networks who, with the exception of HBO, aren't very forthcoming with the exporting specs they'd like to have. Each show comes to me @60-70 gbs.

All these shows are shot in 1080. Sometimes I'm having to mix in 720p but I need to output to 1080. The best info I've gotten is the following:
XDCAM HD 422 1080i60 (50mbs), FPS 29.97, 1920x1080

While this is all well and good, I'm wondering now 2 things:
1. This is still a large file. Are there any adjustments that can be made to make this file smaller initially or, after I export this file, is there another export I can do to make this file even smaller?
2. Many of the other networks want the codec to be H264 instead of XDCAM.

I'm fine (I think) with all the input options with the exception of the kbps. I've tried inputting from 1500-2500 kbps but to my eye it doesn't look good. I'm thinking that I've over-compressed the file.
Did I?
So basically I'm looking for what the kbps input would be if I wanted to export using H264 and have it look sharp and clean.
I hope this makes what I'm asking more clear.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 15, 2012 at 10:32:04 pm

Broadcasters are usually very specific about the data rate and muxed audio formats they broadcast. MPEG2 is most common although mpeg4 is used also so H264 may be a requirement but data rates are broadcaster specific and in my experience they should give you specifics.

XDCam at 50Mbs is high. Most broadcasters are in the 8-15Mbs range but they also have specific details on audio and stream type so there is no one size fits all approach. Chances are they just want a high enough res to then convert to their broadcast format and perhaps super a bug at the same time. Generally hi res files can be ProRes or DnxHD codecs. Again the broadcasters are the only ones that can tell you exactly what they want. In my experience there is almost no instance when delivery specs have not be part of the sales contract so ask the producers what the broadcaster has specified. I generally deliver to distribution companies so HDCam and ProRes422 files are the usual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]