FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning SDHC to DVD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
Burning SDHC to DVD?
on Oct 13, 2012 at 7:00:28 pm

Hey guys
So this is somewhat embarrassing but pride before the fall I suppose... I'll swallow my pride and just ask. So I have high school football footage from a home video camera shot in 1080 on a Sony HD camera. The guy that shot it gave it to me on SDHC cards. Now, I have FCP 7 and certainly know how to use MPEG streamclip to convert to Apple Pro Res and then move those converted files into FCP 7 and then send that out to compressor and burn a DVD from there, but... is there a quicker way of doing that?
I need to give him the footage in DVD format to watch on a home DVD player ASAP. I'll keep doing some google searching to see if there is a quick way but wanted to post here since I know many of you guys are quick to help.
thanks
jared

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
Re: Burning SDHC to DVD?
on Oct 13, 2012 at 7:20:26 pm

I am using Log and Transfer right now and it's going somewhat fast- it'll be fine...
I'll just do this for the workflow, but for future reference would still love to know if there is something quicker...

I do have one other question now-
Once I get all the football footage on the timeline, how will I know if it's going to fit onto one DVD disc (not dual layer, just the standard 4.7GB)? If it won't all fit, will compressor automatically split it into 2 discs or do I need to divide the footage up in FCP before sending it to Compressor?

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Oct 14, 2012 at 4:59:40 am

Okay, so log and transfer took up too much space I guess cause now I have a "memory full" flag...

Honestly, how does the normal "soccer mom" burn DVDs from an AVCHD camcorder these days? No way does she have Final Cut... I have to be making this over complicated.. please please... someone tell me how to go about doing this quicker!!!

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Oct 14, 2012 at 1:14:35 pm

I turned all the clips to ProRes with ClipWrap last night before I went to bed... Woke up this morning and when I drag those ProRes clips down to my timeline... well, the first one drags just fine, but then when I drag the second one down it gives me the "general error" pop up...
What the heck? Someone please chime in on my post

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:30:28 am

Do what the soccer mom does. Hook up your camera - or hers - and output it direct to DVD with hopefully the screen info on it, inc timecode/counter.

I actually do this with my EX and F3 footage for clients and networks. Course it puts up info that's unnecessary like voltage, pic profile, etc but the timecode's there. The alternatives of ingesting in FCP, outputting with tc reader onscreen, compressing as mpeg2 are far too time consuming.

Mickey

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:35:42 am

I'm so sorry Mickey but what do you mean by "hook it up and output it to dvd"
I can't imagine cameras have a DVD burner with them so I just can't make sense of what you mean... I apologize

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:28:08 am

Connect cables from the video output of the camera to the input of a set-top DVD Recorder. Record the playback from the camera to DVD.

If you don't have access to the camera and only have the card, you could plug the card into a Blu-ray player (or any other device that can play the files and has a video output) with a USB Card reader and record from that to DVD. Either way it's real-time, so you just have to wait for the length of the original recording plus a few minutes to finalize the disc.

Maybe not the best possible quality, but its very simple to do and especially fast for shorter recordings.

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Oct 16, 2012 at 12:27:39 am

Yep, I did mean DVD recorder. For a small investment, a DVD recorder saves a lot of time outputting timecoded camera footage. Technology's old but still effective.

Mickey

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:04:32 am

could one of you guys give me a DVD recorder that has SDHC slots to burn DVDs please... like the brand and model would be so much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]