FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconverting to SD, but without double-image

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
Downconverting to SD, but without double-image
on Oct 13, 2012 at 7:46:47 am

So I have some HD video that I want to put on a DVD. I have DVD Studio Pro, which as you know, will not downconvert the video to SD for me. I tried re-exporting the video as a regular old SD QuickTime movie, but I noticed that there was a bad case of the video having double-images at certain places where there was a lot of movement. For example, if someone is waving their arm around, I'll see the image of the arm and then a second or even third "ghostly" image of the same arm right behind it as long as it is still moving (is there a term for this?). I looked at the HD version that I exported earlier and it had this as well during the same moments.

I was able to finally get rid of it by converting the HD version to an H.264 MP4 that is still HD using MPEG Streamclip. The video also never had this problem while still in FCP. Problem is, DVD Studio Pro won't burn this to a conventional DVD (or, at least nothing that our DVD players will accept). Is there a format that I can export the video to that is widescreen, SD, and won't have that ghostly double-image? I also have MPEG Streamclip and iSkysoft Video Converter available, but I haven't seen a way to down convert video to SD with them.

Difficulty: I'm on a cruise ship with very limited Internet, so I can't download or buy much of anything.

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
Re: Downconverting to SD, but without double-image
on Oct 13, 2012 at 9:03:47 am

Your starting point should be understanding that DVD is SD, so there has to be a cost when putting HD video on it. Without that, you may forever be chasing quality that isn't possible.

My usual workflow is to export a quicktime movie from FCP (at whatever sequence settings you have) and then import that into compressor. I would place compression markers in the timeline anywhere you have a lot of movement before exporting. These cause compressor to "look carefully" at these areas as it compresses the video and can improve the result. Select one of the DVD presets for best quality and import the resulting files into DVD Studio. That should get you a working result, but compressing for DVD is as much an art as technique and getting a great result could take a lot of experimentation.

Nigel Beaumont

Mac Pro Quad 3.0Ghz 14GB FCS 3 OSX 10.7.4, Aja IO, some black cables&shiny firewire drives

"Ofcourse it'll be finished in time for tx"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]