FORUMS: list search recent posts

External audio automatically renamed when linked to video / reconnect problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
External audio automatically renamed when linked to video / reconnect problem
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:39:05 pm

this is a bizarre final cut glitch. It is similar to this post from 2010 but no one responded to it.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1098436

I have a project with extensive coverage of a big event. Several sequences contain three or more cameras synced and linked to external audio. The external audio is two (polyphonic) files with 10 tracks each (lavs, boom, shotgun, etc). With the two track camera audio that adds up to 26 audio tracks for many of the sequences. In order to make this unwieldy external audio easier to cut and move around, we linked it all to a video track.

The problem is that when we have reconnected the projects to a different drive with identical media, final cut seems to have automatically renamed the audio files to match the video. We are worried this may cause problems down the road when these are cut down more and more and we can't get back to the orignal audio.

Does that description make sense? has anyone encountered this before and found a way to reverse it?

Return to posts index

Brad Kester
Re: External audio automatically renamed when linked to video / reconnect problem
on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:08:56 pm

Hi,

Did you ever figure out a solution for this?

I was just about to post my frustration with a similar issue, but I was able to resolve it on my own. After syncing and linking my audio and making a new Master clip, I opened up my project only to find that all the audio had been renamed to match it's newly linked video clip. Initially I couldn't reconnect because I couldn't find a matching name from the folder containing all my raw audio. Or so I thought...

FCP actually was retaining the original name of the audio file-- just not displaying on the clip name in the timeline. However, when I highlighted my audio clip from the timeline and tried to reconnect, the dialog box that opens up was showing both the OFFLINE and ONLINE files associated with the clip (in my case, the OFFLINE audio that was giving me problems, and the ONLINE video that was already connected). When I clicked the "Locate" button to search for the audio file I wanted, Final Cut thought I was searching for the video clip, and was only enabling the clip that matched that name.

So here's the simple solution: In the reconnect dialog box that first opens up, in the upper right hand corner, you can choose ONLINE, OFFLINE, and RENDER. Mine was selected to display ONLINE and OFFLINE. All I did was deselect the Online so that only the Offline was being displayed, and that enabled me to "Locate" the audio file from the source folder.

Not sure if that would have helped your problem in 2012, or the other problem from the post in 2010-- and obviously it's too late to be much help now. But if anyone else is experiencing something similar, this is how I got it to work for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]