FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export takes forever!Is that normal?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierpaolo Di Carlo
Export takes forever!Is that normal?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 9:55:46 pm

Hi,

Right at the outset: I am not a professional editor and in general new to the world of digital videos. I have a Sony NX70E and a 2011 Macbook (4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2.4 Ghz Intel). I shot a 2+ hour video of a dance performance in 1440 x 1080i. When I imported this file from the camera directly in FCP 10.0.5 it took some 5 minutes and disk space for 6.7 GB. When I tried to export it in H.264 it became huge (some 20 GB), not to talk of other codecs (in some it reaches even 170GB!). I have tried to export in H.264 and then in Apple ProRes 422 but it gave some 6+ hour (and counting) in either case. Then, I have tried to use Compressor 4.0.3: the file was relatively small (1.8 GB) with settings such as SD Video Sharing, but expected working time was in the order of 14+ hours. Can anyone explain me what is happening?

Since I am particularly impatient these days, I am now trying to subdivide the file in smaller clips. The first one is 28-min long. I go to Share > Media Browser > Mac & Pc. The small clip is anticipated to become some 2.2 GB big. I think it's fine. BUT expected working time exceeds 6 hours. Is there anything wrong? Or, is this just how it should be? In general, could software explicitly designed to import MTS files for FCP (such as FinalMate or MTSConverter) be of any help?

Suggestions are most welcome!
Thanks!

PP

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Export takes forever!Is that normal?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:20:32 pm

You'll have better luck in the FCX forums. This forum is for all of us who are hanging onto FCP 7 until it is pried from our cold, dead hands.

http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]