FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing the Grain through compression - why???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin Williams
Losing the Grain through compression - why???
on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:10:53 am

I have made a short film with a Magic Bullet Looks filter that creates a grainy look to the film. However as soon as I compress it through FCP Compressor it disappears. It's like the compressor as smoothed it all over!

I am running FCP 7 and the clips were PRORES422(LT)

Any help on this would be great as it's very frustrating

Gavin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Losing the Grain through compression - why???
on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:51:32 am

What are you outputting from Compressor? If you highly compress then grain and resolution in general is affected by compression blocking.

Return to posts index

Gavin Williams
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:50:50 am

Hi Michael

I am compressing to h.264 with a 8mb data rate - a 3 minute film coming out at 155mb in size for youtube

Do you need any other info?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:39:51 am

That's quite a lot of compression. You might need to increase the grain to compensate.

Return to posts index

Gavin Williams
on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:08:59 pm

Hi Michael

How do I go about reducing the amount of compression if I wanted to go that route? What particular settings should I look at?

Thanks

Gavin

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:04:48 pm

When you say disappears, do you mean you can't see even the faintest hint of the effect? Are you sending straight to compressor from FCP or are you exporting a Pro Res then compressing?

It's hard to say without seeing how subtle the effect is, but I'd export a Pro Res then compress to H.264 to double check. Otherwise, like Micheal mentioned, increase the gain on the effect to compensate.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:36:15 pm

Grain and today's compressed distribution don't work well together. Take a look at AMC's the Walking Dead which is shot in 16mm film. I've seen many shots where close ups have visible posteration due to the compressor's bandwidth being gobbled up reproducing the grain.

Tread carefully with grain and compression. That aspect of "the film look" is hopefully fading away... literally.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]