FORUMS: list search recent posts

H264 converted to ProRes now out of sync - very confused

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe N West
H264 converted to ProRes now out of sync - very confused
on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:42:35 am

Hi everyone

I am working on a project in final cut pro. The majority of the footage is at 25fps so the sequence has been set up for that time frame. I have converted all the footage in compressor from H264 to Apple ProRes 422 but now the majority of the clips appear out of sync, but only maybe by a frame.

When I select the original QT and converted QT and press apple I - all the properties are identical so I am really confused as to why the converted clips are out of sync. It looks like they are just a frame out. Has anyone else had this problem? What am I doing wrong?

I also have a batch of clips that are at 30fps and 24fps - should I convert these in compressor to ProRes with 25fps? Or use them in FCP as they are?

I am using FCP 7.03

Thank you

Zoe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: H264 converted to ProRes now out of sync - very confused
on Oct 9, 2012 at 3:01:11 pm

[Zoe N West] "I have converted all the footage in compressor from H264 to Apple ProRes 422 but now the majority of the clips appear out of sync, but only maybe by a frame. "

How did you do the conversion? What software? H.264 implies footage from a DSLR, and if the original card structure is still intact, the conversion can be done at Log & Transfer.

[Zoe N West] "I also have a batch of clips that are at 30fps and 24fps - should I convert these in compressor to ProRes with 25fps? Or use them in FCP as they are?"

What frame rate do you need to deliver? You should convert the frame rates of all footage to that rate. You should also be aware that it is a very rate thing indeed that footage is 30 or 24 fps. It is more likely 29.97 or 23.976 fps. FCP calls the second frame rate 23.98, but rest assured: it's actually 23.976.

There are also a few ways to do frame rate conversion, and the determining factors are these: do you have to maintain the footage's proper real-time motion and do you have sync sound? When people know the answers to these questions, they can offer better advice.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:30:08 pm

[Zoe N West] "but now the majority of the clips appear out of sync,"

Two questions: Do the clips appear to be our of sync under QT Player or in the FCP timeline?

and,

What is your default FCP sequence setting for the system? ( the top line in Audio/Video Settings --Sequence Preset:__________) This setting can affect how FCP maps media in other frame rates.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Zoe N West
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:14:48 am

Hi Jo and Dave

Thanks for repsonding

the converted media is actually fine in QT - no audio sync issues at all. It's just in FCP the audio appears to be 2frames out. The sequence preset in the audio/video settings is

Apple proRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 25p 48khz

is this the wrong setting? What should I do to adjust to allow the audio to be in sync?

The final output if the project will be 25fps so I'll have a go at converting the other framerates to 25fps in compressor.

Thanks

zoe

Return to posts index

Zoe N West
on Oct 11, 2012 at 7:07:59 am

Hi everyone

I have another batch of media to convert from H264 to Apple ProRes today but am getting worried that the footage all plays out of sync in both the viewer and timeline in FCP - does anyone have any suggestions? IS there a sheeting I need to change in FCP? Or is it a bigger problem?

Thanks

Zoe

Return to posts index

Zoe N West
on Oct 11, 2012 at 7:09:02 am

Hi everyone

I have another batch of media to convert from H264 to Apple ProRes today but am getting worried that the footage all plays out of sync in both the viewer and timeline in FCP - does anyone have any suggestions? IS there a setting I need to change in FCP? Or is it a bigger problem?

Thanks

Zoe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]