FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync problems with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylene Arnold
Sync problems with FCP
on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:05:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I received footage from a client in the form of mp4 files compressed using the h.264 codec. The audio is at 44.1 kHz and was either recorded directly to the camera or synced to the video and exported as a single file before it was passed on to me.

The audio and video are perfectly in sync when I view the footage in QuickTime, but drift out of sync in FCP 6. I checked my sequence settings and the audio is at 44.1 kHz, just like the source file. I also tried resampling the audio in Soundtrack Pro and bringing it into a 48kHz sequence, but it is still out of sync. Knowing that my system likes ProRes better than mp4s, I tried transcoding the footage to see if that helped, but the audio and video are even further out of sync after the transcode, both in FCP and in QuickTime.

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of problem? I'm under a deadline so I would really appreciate any help anybody can give me. Thank you!

Kylene

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sync problems with FCP
on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:16:21 pm

Don't try to edit those files natively. FCP doesn't work with H.264 nor MP4. You have to convert to an editing codec...ProRes...before you edit, and convert the audio to 48kHz.

Or use Adobe Premiere...that works with this format natively.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kylene Arnold
on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:29:43 pm

Thanks for your quick response. That was my first thought as well, since I usually convert everything to ProRes. However, the transcoded file didn't stay in sync in Quicktime OR FCP (whereas the mp4 at least stayed in sync in QuickTime). I transcoded it using its native 44.1 kHz, but no luck.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:44:25 pm

FCP doesn't work at 44.1. Needs to be 48.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kylene Arnold
on Oct 8, 2012 at 11:14:04 pm

I had already tried resampling the audio in Soundtrack and resyncing without any luck, but decided to try transcoding the file straight to ProRes at 48kHz and it did the trick! Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]