FORUMS: list search recent posts

BIG GREEN BAR (when trying to export to m4v with compressor)???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec Eagon
BIG GREEN BAR (when trying to export to m4v with compressor)???
on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:17:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I am getting a huge green bar across the center of the screen when I try to export an FCP ref file with compressor to h.264 for Apple Devices (which is an .m4v file).

I saw a previous thread that discussed this issue (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1114363#1114363), but it seems like they just concluded in shutting off "Frame Controls." This is not an option for me as this must video must be exported at absolutely the top fidelity given the already imposed constraints of .m4v.

I've tried using Digital Rebellion's "Compressor Repair" to reset Compressor. After I did this I rebuilt my Local Cluster and tried to export again to the same avail (Frame Controls ON = Green Bar, Frame Controls OFF = Bar goes away).

If anyone has any ideas about how to troubleshoot this issue so I can export .m4v with frame controls ON, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Al

My System Specs:

FCP 6.0.6 // OSX 10.7.5 Lion
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon)
32 GB Memory

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: BIG GREEN BAR (when trying to export to m4v with compressor)???
on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:31:37 pm

Is your source footage H.264?

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:36:17 pm

No, source footage is Apple Pro Res (HQ). Sorry forgot to list that.

Alec E.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 4, 2012 at 10:25:24 pm

Are you exporting a QuickTime movie from FCP first (self contained, current settings)? If not then try that as exporting from the FCP timeline straight to Compressor may be taxing your system. It goes without saying that your timeline needs to be fully rendered.

Those green bars often indicate a graphics card unable to cope, particularly if you have fxplugins on shots.

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 4, 2012 at 10:38:43 pm

Won't that result in loss of quality compared to the "Frame-by-Frame" approach of Compressor?

Alec E.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 4, 2012 at 10:54:23 pm

No, it won't.

Exporting self-contained from FCP creates a file in the same codec used in the edit timeline. It's basically a copy, so there shouldn't be any loss, especially if your timeline isn't in a lossy codec like DV or HDV. ProRes is just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:07:20 pm

Oh that is good to know.

Alec E.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 4, 2012 at 10:26:53 pm

Instead of exporting straight out of FCP into Compressor, try exporting a self-contained quicktime from FCP, then using it in Compressor.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:09:52 pm

So I just tried exporting a .mov out of FCP and then converting that to .m4v in Compressor (with Frame Controls ON) and no luck....I am still getting the green bar.

Any ideas? Or methods of trouble shooting?

I noticed that digital rebellion had what looks like a suite of programs for FCP maintenance. Anyone used those?

Thanks!

Alec E.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Oct 5, 2012 at 1:30:59 am

Confirm please that your original sequence is fully rendered.

Also, are you viewing the end result in Quicktime 7? If so try viewing it in the newer Quicktime X, or in MPEG Streamclip. Or on an iDevice.
Quicktime 7 has become broken when trying to show mp4/h264 since Mountain Lion (for me, anyway).

And, try just using the standard preset and not worrying about frame controls. Apple's own presets for its own devices are really quite OK, quality-wise.

Next idea is to make a regular ProRes (not Q) and work with that. The quality issues are simply not as critical as you are defining them since your end goal is iDevices and your presets are Apple.

Finally, try a 3rd party conversion app if all else fails.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Oct 5, 2012 at 2:13:33 am

Try using Handbrake with the self-contained QT movie, see if you still get it.

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 5, 2012 at 4:42:08 am

Does handbrake have the same "Frame Control" capabilities as Compressor?

I am only exporting .m4v ("h.264 for Apple Devices") on a recommendation that it can really help avoid gamma/color shift issues, since many an attempt with Squeeze has still rendered unsatisfactory results.

Thanks
Alec

Alec E.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Oct 5, 2012 at 1:57:38 pm

No, Handbrake doen't have frame control capabilities, but it does have presets for Apple Devices and uses the x264 codec, which is superior to Apple's version of H264. It will make a great looking file from ProRes HQ.

As William Car says, [William Carr] " their thoughtful recommendation is to make a 1280x720 h264 at about 5Mbps. Why not just try that from your ProRes using Compressor or Streamclip or AUNsoft or whatever and upload to Vimeo with privacy on and see how it looks. It will probably look great."

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Oct 5, 2012 at 2:15:03 am

Export a QT out of Final Cut using Current Settings. This is a full quality master.

Do a ProRes422 conversion in Compressor with all of your Frame Controls, resizing, rate conversion, etc. No need for ProRes HQ at this stage, as any benefit will be lost in the m4v conversion - but feel free to use HQ if you're compelled to go that direction.

Convert the 2nd ProRes file to the m4v file.

==

If that doesn't work consider trying MPEG Streamclip for the mpeg conversion.

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 5, 2012 at 4:32:23 am

Yes, my sequence is fully rendered.

Yes, I am viewing it in QT7 (looks the same in Mpeg Streamclip and VLC).

I am converting to .m4v for upload to Vimeo (which was recommended to me recently when I became utterly dissatisfied with even Sorenson Squeeze's ability to transcode h.264 for the web). Also, the original ProRes HQ files are film scans so due to the insane native latitude, even the slightest shift in color or quality is noticeable.

Every digital video I've ever worked with ends up looking better on the web the less compressed it is before the final for-the-web crunch (yes even on Apple devices).

Thank you for the ideas. Unfortunately I am not trying to find a workaround here. I am rather trying to figure out how to make this program work the way it should. So far I have done nothing wrong that should, at least "in theory", seem to cause this issue.

So if anyone has any ideas related to troubleshooting software or hardware I would really appreciate those.

Thanks!
-Alec

Alec E.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Oct 5, 2012 at 5:22:12 am

This forum is unmatched to learn how to get a step forward, figure what steps we're taking that might be broken, and quite frequently, what workarounds will get us where we need to go.

I hope someone answers your very specific query. In the mean time, folks have taken time to give you some very decent ideas here.

It seems you're saying, if that original workflow recommendation is not carried through in the manner you intend, the compression quality will be unacceptable.

When you say "Every digital video I've ever worked with ends up looking better on the web the less compressed it is before the final for-the-web crunch (yes even on Apple devices).", you are stating the obvious. Less compression looks better. You want the best and least compression possible, as do we all.

The fact is there are many ways to make an h264 for the web that yield excellent results. I do a lot of uploading final projects to Vimeo; their thoughtful recommendation is to make a 1280x720 h264 at about 5Mbps. Why not just try that from your ProRes using Compressor or Streamclip or AUNsoft or whatever and upload to Vimeo with privacy on and see how it looks. It will probably look great.

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:06:30 pm

I am very sorry if I came across as ungrateful for the workarounds. I really do appreciate them.

I probably don't have as much experience as you, but I have uploaded my fair share of videos to Vimeo as well employing countless methods and test using Squeeze 8, Adobe Encoder, Mpeg Streamclip, Compressor, VLC, Handbrake, QT7 and others.

For the last year I have been working with mostly Apple ProRes (HQ) film scans. The last project I worked on I spent two weeks working overtime with said programs to produce a satisfactory result on Vimeo...my conclusion?...(and again, this is just speculation since I am not a programmer or engineer), because of the nature of image capture via randomized grain and the latitude of film, achieving a workflow [Film > ProRes (HQ) > Vimeo] that produces a satisfactory result is incredibly difficult and requires a ton, and I mean a ton, of experimentation.

I am experimenting, following up on a lead with this whole .m4v Compressor Export thing, thus I am simply trying to get to a point where I can get this program to work the way it should, to actually do what it says it can do on my hardware setup.

Again though, I really appreciate the workarounds as they will undoubtedly provide me with other leads to follow in the future if this one doesn't work out.

Alec E.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:30:43 pm

I hate to ask an obvious question, but did you view the exported file BEFORE you used Compressor? You could then determine if it was FCP or Compressor doing the damage.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:12:40 pm

Yes, there is NO green bar when I open the FCP Ref file or when I open the Self Contained FCP Pro Res(.mov).

I appreciate the obvious questions. I make a lot of obvious mistakes.

Alec E.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2012 at 5:29:09 pm

...in which case, you've eliminated FCP at the cause of your problem. You can now concentrate on the compression software.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Oct 7, 2012 at 5:46:05 pm

Okay great. So, on that thread I posted at the top, someone else mentioned that they were having a similar problem with their Compressor on their 12-core (like me) but not with Compressor on their laptop. I just exported the same file to .m4v with Compressor on my laptop (4-core) and it was successful.

What sort of issue could this be between a 12-core processor and Compressor? ...or might this just be coincidence?

Alec E.

Return to posts index

Immanuel Heims
on Feb 23, 2017 at 4:01:19 pm

Hello from Germany,

I'm encoutering the exact same problem here on my MacPro 5,1 12-core machine. Before I had a MacPro 3,1 8-core and it worked flawlessly with Compressor resizing footage using Frame Controls. So, it seems to be Hardware-related. I also installed only FCP 6.0.6 and Compressor 3.0.5 on a fresh Mac OS and it produced the same green bars. It doesn't matter which format you use as a source or destination. It also works with Frame Controls ON as long as the Image Size is 100% source. If it's a different size, the artifacts suddenly appear.

Any ideas on solving this problem?
Thanks a lot!

creative media & more, Germany
Videography ❘ Postproduction ❘ Media Design ❘ Photography
MEHR ALS BEWEGTE BILDER. BILDER, DIE BEWEGEN!

http://www.immanuel-heims.com
https://vimeo.com/heims/albums/sort:alphabetical/format:thumbnail

s.d.g.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]