FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ripping an SD DVD into Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Harrison
Ripping an SD DVD into Final Cut Pro
on Oct 4, 2012 at 4:32:38 am

Hi Guys,

A client of mine needs me to edit down a film off a DVD. I honestly have done nothing like this in like 5 years. Most of the work I do comes in from a digital file source. What is the best program to do something like this these days? Are people still using handbrake? I assume I just need an app that will convert a DVD into pro res?

Also how long will it take? It's a 45 minute film that needs to be ripped. Total time with conversion about how long? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Ripping an SD DVD into Final Cut Pro
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:37:24 am

Yes you are correct MPEG to ProRes. Handbrake is still around although you might want to have a look at MPEG streamclip. Its a free download and will convert to ProRes quite happily - its a useful tool for all kinds of little easy conversion jobs. (Assuming DVD is not protected of course.) I would only be guessing in terms of how long - depends on what Mac you have to a degree - shouldnt take more than twice realtime but you can do 2 pass options for better quality which takes longer obviously.
Either way shouldnt be too horrible in terms of time.
Prores LT easily good enough for DVD quality.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Shawn Harrison
Re: Ripping an SD DVD into Final Cut Pro
on Oct 6, 2012 at 3:44:44 am

Thanks, that worked well. I just have a couple questions. I converted it to AppleProRes...regular. It has been so long since I worked in SD...What would be the best format I should rip the DVD to? It looks good but a little soft..How do you enable the 2 pass?? When I try to up the quality knob it won't let me and is stuck at 50 percent...If you know any tips to get this as exact as possible I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]