FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingest - Downscale In One Pass?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
Ingest - Downscale In One Pass?
on Oct 4, 2012 at 2:48:07 am

Is there a way to ingest clips, simultaneously downresing them from 1080 to 720? Or, using another app, do the conversion of the MTS clips directly to ProRes 720 that can plop into FCP?

Specs: Documentary film project, Lumix GH2 clips shot at 1080 24, up-to-date FCP7 on a 2010 maxed-out MacBook Pro w/ Firewire RAIDs.

Why is it not shot in 720? They want the 24p, plus they like the original clips being highest quality in case of a subsequent usage.
Why not edit in 1080? There will be 3,000 clips all told to work with, and the end result needs to be 720 anyway. Machine performance and drive space are happier in 720.

FYI, MPEG Streamclip won't open the original clips, and VLC struggles with them.

Current workflow is-- after routine Log&Transfer to ProRes I toss the new capture scratch into Compressor and downscale to ProRes 720 onto a 2nd drive, then copy back over the newly downscaled ones to replace the originals.

All that works fine, no noticeable ickyness on image quality from the 2nd pass.

But it takes a LONG time extra every night for the 2nd conversion after a big day's shoot.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Ingest - Downscale In One Pass?
on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:45:49 pm

[William Carr] "Any suggestions?"

I kind of think you're stuck with this workflow in Log&Transfer land. My first thought (how I would do it) would be to set up a hardware transcode on ingest, but that only works with Log&Capture with an SDI ingest route supported by an interface card like an AJA or BlackMagic device. That would be real-time, but the trend is for faster-than-real-time (hopefully) with data transfer.

But you have discovered if the format needs to be changed, that will take a bit of time.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Oct 4, 2012 at 10:13:59 pm

How about ClipWrap?

Anybody use this app for bringing mts into FCP?

Will it downscale during its conversion process?

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:26:22 pm

Trial version of ClipWrap: cannot change scaling on incoming clips.

Aunsoft MTS Converter: can change scaling, and can rename clips in the batch list.
This worked great, just a single nicely paced pass from the original mts clips to downscaled 720 ProRes that placed into an existing sequence in the project without any rendering needed, alongside FCP-Compressor ingested clips.

So FYI to anybody interested, this seems to be my solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]