FORUMS: list search recent posts

when i add a text clip, sometimes it splits my video, sometimes not

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
finbar taub
when i add a text clip, sometimes it splits my video, sometimes not
on Oct 3, 2012 at 5:48:07 pm

this has been so frustrating! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. So, when i drag some text from a bin into my timeline, sometimes it gets placed right where i want it on the video - no problem. At other times it splits the video where it lands, as if I copied it and inserted it with shift-V (as opposed to a normal paste). I know it's not one of my settings though because get this - I can take the same text, place it in the timeline, and have it overlay perfect, then without changing anything ill undo, try it again, but the second time it will cut my video and insert itself into the cut. its so random. I would love to post the screen shot that i took of this, but i dont see any way here to do that.

thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: when i add a text clip, sometimes it splits my video, sometimes not
on Oct 3, 2012 at 6:27:29 pm

You're not just being sloppy in the mouse-movement? The arrows change from vertical to horizontal, right? Do you have insert/overlay locked somehow?

Return to posts index

finbar taub
on Oct 3, 2012 at 6:33:32 pm

wow! would you believe I never noticed the arrows and how that little movement up or down changes them. I guess I whip em in there so fast I just havent noticed. Is there a way to lock those arrows so when I drag text down it never inserts? I drag text so much, and so fast, it kills me to think that I would have to start being that gentle every time I place my text.

and thanks so much for the revelation!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 3, 2012 at 8:14:49 pm

I think if you have track heights minimized, it only allows overwrite.

You know how to adjust the track heights, right?

Return to posts index

finbar taub
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:15:17 pm

ha ha- yes, i can do that, but wouldnt want to, as im pretty used to my " one taller than minimum" track height. thanks anyway though for the quick replies.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:13:45 pm

Well, FCP has functioned this way for 12 years. You could lock all the tracks except the one with the text, but that's going to only work if you're working in an assemble type mode, left to right, as it would still move down any texts / clips to the right on that track if you slip and use insert mode.

Return to posts index

finbar taub
on Oct 8, 2012 at 6:26:54 pm

Okay - ill just get used to it - thanks for the replies -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]