FORUMS: list search recent posts

terrible psd resolution in final cut 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kelly armstrong
terrible psd resolution in final cut 7
on Oct 3, 2012 at 5:45:32 pm

Hello,

I'm editing a trailer and there's a title card, which has been made in photoshop that I have brought into the FCP sequence.

Initially the psd looks great (high res) and then as soon as I render it the words and colors become very pixelated.

Why is this? My psd file is 300 dpi and my sequence settings in FCP are: 1280x720, pro res HQ, square pixels.

Any idea on what the problem is?

Thanks,

Kelly

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
Re: terrible psd resolution in final cut 7
on Oct 3, 2012 at 6:01:44 pm

I'm working so I cant give long explanation but select it in the timeline and do option>r or sequence render all and make sure the green is selected. I'll bet that you have a light green signifyer in the top of timeline and sometimes on psd's final cut needs a full render to view it like supposed to because it is such high quality file. If it still looks funny put in and outs in the timeline around the image and make sure to include something else like small footage clip within your in/out points and just export out self contained .mov of just that section of timeline and I'll put money on it looking a-ok.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:35:55 pm

What are the physical dimensions of the psd file? FCP doesn't care about dpi (in video space dpi is largely irrelevant). All that matters is the actual size of the file (1280x720, 1920x1080, etc.). Make your psd file the size you need for your timeline (or bigger if you plan on scaling into it using the Motion tab).

If you have a 300 dpi file that is 320x180, all FCP sees is 320x180. Drop that in a 720 or 1080 timeline and it'll look bad.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

kelly armstrong
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:19:17 pm

Yeah the strange thing is that the aspect ratio in photoshop is 1920 x 1080 and the sequence is set to 1280x720.

Is it because I'm scaling down that it's affecting the quality?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:45:08 pm

[kelly armstrong] "Is it because I'm scaling down that it's affecting the quality? "

Pull the graphic back into Photoshop and adjust the canvas size to 1280x720... see if it makes a difference.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]