FORUMS: list search recent posts

JPG to FCP Project...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gib Whitney
JPG to FCP Project...
on Oct 2, 2012 at 2:00:08 pm

I copied an image to a new (transparent) layer in Photoshop. I exported it as JPG and imported it into Final Cut. The image as viewed in FCP sits on top of a white background, which I want to lose so I only have the image itself. Thanks for your help on this...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: JPG to FCP Project...
on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:06:24 pm

JPEGs don't have an alpha channel, which defines trasnparency values. Go back to Photoshop and re-open the jpeg. Save it as a .psd, .tga, .tif, .tga, or .png file. All those formats record alpha channel info . Add an empty layer under the original layer. You may have to cut around the original object with the selection and erase tools. Save both layers in the final version and export. Now, the image will show up in fcp with transparency.

Another quick work-around would be to apply the luma key filter to the jpeg to key out the white, but this may not give as good results as saving to a format with an alpha chanel. There may be areas inside the jpeg that also would key out, using luma.

Return to posts index

Gib Whitney
Re: JPG to FCP Project...
on Oct 2, 2012 at 5:29:51 pm

Mark,

Thank you for the taking the time to provide the excellent info. It was very much appreciated!
Gib

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]