FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Not Capturing HDV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
FCP Not Capturing HDV
on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:50:42 am

So I just took over as the videographer on a cruise ship and we are also upgrading to HD video. I've been shooting with a Sony Z1U and I've been attempting to capture it to a brand-new (as in bought this past Wednesday) iMac via FCP. I got quite a bit of it captured and then I realized that it was capturing it as SD footage. I tried changing the Easy Setup settings. Changing it to any HDV 1080i60 setting gives me a blank preview screen and a message saying that there is no data. Using the Apple Intermediate Codec causes it to give me a blank preview screen and the message at the bottom says it is cueing up the video. Meanwhile, it just plays the actual tape on the camera at normal speed, but doesn't seem to stop or do anything else. I let this go on for about a minute before giving up. I I mostly tried capturing it using Capture Now, but used a few of the other methods from the Log and Capture menu as well.

I know for a fact that the footage captured was indeed HDV. I'm also capturing via Firewire from the camera if that helps at all. Thanks!

Someone on the Apple forums said to check th

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: FCP Not Capturing HDV
on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:26:39 pm

Make sure your Z1U is set to output 1080i. Sony's cameras had the ability to do a realtime down convert while playing back, if I remember correctly. Once that's checked, go into FCP and use the corresponding easy setup for your footage, HDV - 1080i60, and capture away.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:39:53 am

That did it, thanks! Turns out I needed to change the iLink setting, which is in the camera's menu when it's in playback mode.

Now I have a smaller problem: FCP is making every. single. camera start/stop a separate clip, meaning that there are around 200 clips per tape. What do I do if I want to change this? The article posted below mentions this, but doesn't say how to get rid of it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:17:07 am

[Adam Leonard] " What do I do if I want to change this? "

Well, think about this: which is more of a bother, dragging one of 200 clips when you edit, or readjusting the the in & out point of the same clip 200 times to edit?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:46:21 pm

I believe this is a limitation of HDV. Because when you shoot and hit start/stop record on your camera the codec has to close out that GOP (because it's not an I-frame based codec). Remember HDV works by extrapolating data from set points within a given GOP (Group of Pictures). Sony used 15 frames, JVC 12 (some companies used 6 I believe too). So every 15th frame would be an I frame within the camera. The other frames in between would either look forwards or backwards to the surrounding I frame in order to extrapolate the motion. That's why your able to fit HD onto a miniDV tape @ 25Mbps....cause you're throwing away a lot of data and extrapolating the rest. Brilliant on one hand, and a complete PITA on the other! ;-)

So when you import via your NLE each time you hit start/stop on your camera it makes that a new file because it has to close out the GOP structure. FCP in the User Preferences has a box for "On Timecode Break: Make New Clip" which is your best option. The others are Abort capture or warn after capture.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Oct 4, 2012 at 7:31:50 pm

OK, thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:59:01 pm

....and here's what you want to know: the technique for capturing HDV to ProRes 422:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/poisson_chris/hdv-prores.php

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]