FORUMS: list search recent posts

color correction etc with Flanders, FCP 7 and new MBP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Levy
color correction etc with Flanders, FCP 7 and new MBP
on Sep 30, 2012 at 6:59:57 pm

Apple dropped my old 2009 MBP running snow leopard, and is replacing it with a new MBP with thunderbird and mountain Lion, so I'm racing to figure out how to set it up for downloading SxS cards, using it with eSATA drives and doing color correction with FCP 7 since I can no longer use my old Matrox MXO. So here are a few questions:

1- I own a Flanders 1760 (usually used in the field) which has DVI in and I often use it with an HDMI adapter that works fine. It can work as a secondary monitor using the mini display port>DVI adapter.
- Is this sufficient for decent color correction work in FCP?
- Is this equivalent to what I used to get from Matrox MXO ( I used that both into my Dell and SDI out to the Flanders)
- Will I get anything significantly better by blowing an additional $1K+ for an MXO2?

2. If I get an AJA T-Tap when it comes out would I be able to use my laptop screen, my 24" Dell (HDMI to DVI) and my Flanders(SDI) all at once?

3. Will my Sony SxS card reader work with mountain lion and this new MBP 3.0 USB connector or do I need to buy an expresscard reader. (Sonnet echo will do this but its an end of Thunderbolt device)

4. Can I run my eSATA drives thru eSATA > USB 3.0 adapters instead of buying a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter box?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: color correction etc with Flanders, FCP 7 and new MBP
on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:25:23 pm

[Leonard Levy] "- Is this sufficient for decent color correction work in FCP?"

No. That sends a computer signal, not a true video signal. They are very different.

[Leonard Levy] "- Is this equivalent to what I used to get from Matrox MXO ( I used that both into my Dell and SDI out to the Flanders)"

Nope. The MXO (the original) did additional processing, and even bypassed the video card in a special way in order to get that true video signal.

[Leonard Levy] "- Will I get anything significantly better by blowing an additional $1K+ for an MXO2?"

There are cheaper options. AJA T-TAP is Thunderbolt out, and HDMI and SDI on the other end. Then there's the Decklink Minis...that do the same thing. TB out to HDMI and SDI

[Leonard Levy] "2. If I get an AJA T-Tap when it comes out would I be able to use my laptop screen, my 24" Dell (HDMI to DVI) and my Flanders(SDI) all at once?"

Ahhh, you know about the T-Tap. Sadly, no. It offers only one TB port so it will take it. Unless you get a USB to DVI converter. But I hear that latency on video is an issue...when used to monitor video play back on the Canvas and Viewer. Might be fine as a bin monitor. The ONLY device with Thunderbolt loop through is the IoXT. That's what I have, and specifically WHY I have it.

No idea about the other questions. I know that the eSATA Thunderbolt adapter works great. My production is using that with their iMacs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:48:43 pm

see below

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Sep 30, 2012 at 7:52:55 pm

Shane to the rescue again. Thanks.

[Shane Ross] "The MXO (the original) did additional processing, and even bypassed the video card in a special way in order to get that true video signal."

What difference does the "true video signal" make. Will it affect color or gamma (Flanders has blue gun) or is it only motion or interlace and aliasing issues?

Will the Aja T-tap or the Decklink give me a "true video signal"?

Certainly much cheaper than an MXO2 which is overkill for my needs as I'm mainly a cameraman who just does a little editing here and there. I'm attracted t the T-Tap also because it supports 3D for HDMi and I may do some 3D cutting .

[Shane Ross] "Unless you get a USB to DVI converter. But I hear that latency on video is an issue...when used to monitor video play back on the Canvas and Viewer. Might be fine as a bin monitor. "

T-Tap has simultaneous SDI and HDMI so I though I could put the HDMI into the Dell with a converter (or get a newer one with HDMI in) I would only connect the Flanders for color correction so latency might not matter. Would be nice to have more screen room for FCP than just the laptop.

Any idea when the Aja is coming out?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2012 at 8:54:21 pm

[Leonard Levy] "Will the Aja T-tap or the Decklink give me a "true video signal"?"

Yes. That is their design. To send out a true video signal.

[Leonard Levy] "What difference does the "true video signal" make. Will it affect color or gamma (Flanders has blue gun) or is it only motion or interlace and aliasing issues?"

Color space is different, and it doesn't do interlacing. Yeah, Color is VERY affected.

[Leonard Levy] "Any idea when the Aja is coming out?"

Wish I knew. Neither one is out at the moment.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Leonard Levy
on Sep 30, 2012 at 9:06:31 pm

Looks like Aja is the ticket for me and very reasonable. Hope its soon.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]