FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence settings don't match video media settings: how to export without quality loss

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Morin
Sequence settings don't match video media settings: how to export without quality loss
on Sep 30, 2012 at 1:43:07 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to fix as I can one of the worst managed FCP projects I have ever seen, one I just retrieved recently. Initially I was meant to color grade the film via Color. But after several big surprises, it appears I have to clean up a lot of the mess that previous collaborators created, just to be able to do my color grading job.

Mistakes include multiple layers of nested sequences (goodbye, dear old "send to color"), lack of proper synchronization of audio and video media (the "editor" didn't use the "merge" function, he preferred to create a sequence per shot in which he added both media and manually synced them).

Did I mention the film is 20 minutes long?

Also, every sequence is set as "Apple ProRes 422" type while my video media are "Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)" type (the film was shot and recorded on a SoundDevices PIX220 recording device, I worked with the cam assistant to have it configured to record ProRes 422 HQ, 220Mbits/s 10-bit video files).

So I wanted to try something way out of line, which was to export every sequence with a marker on each cut, and to import that in Color to grade it.

My question being:

since the sequences are not configured for Apple ProRes 422 HQ, will I lose a lot of information on my media if I export these sequences not with the "use current settings" mode, but by selecting "Apple ProRes 422 HQ" on the export configuration?

Do let me know if I'm not making sense. English is not my native language, I apologize.

I'm using FCP 7.0.3.

Thanks for your help!
Paul

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Sequence settings don't match video media settings: how to export without quality loss
on Sep 30, 2012 at 4:37:24 pm

If you media is HQ, then just change the sequence codec back to HQ, Sequence-settings.

Then render.

Now, you can export using current settings. AND, you'll match.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Paul Morin
Re: Sequence settings don't match video media settings: how to export without quality loss
on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:55:20 pm

Oh well if it's that simple... Sorry, for some reason I was convinced it was a pain to change a sequence settings after the fact, so I didn't even look into it this time. My mistake.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]