FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores edited in HDV Sequence in FCP 5, trying to move it to the right Sequence settings in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Jennsen
Prores edited in HDV Sequence in FCP 5, trying to move it to the right Sequence settings in FCP 7
on Sep 28, 2012 at 5:24:02 pm

Hello,

I have a client who has a long project that was edited on an older tower in FCP 5.

The raw footage is Prores 422 HQ, which is great, but it was edited in a Sequence with an HDV preset (don't know why, though prores wasn't available in FCP 5 yet, and I guess this was the only machine available to them at the time).

Is there a way to open the project in a a newer version of Final Cut, (like FCP 7) and move the edit into a sequence with the proper settings without running into render issues?

I've had problems copying an edit over to a sequence with different settings before and I don't want to have to reassemble the footage from scratch in a new sequence with the proper settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Howard

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Prores edited in HDV Sequence in FCP 5, trying to move it to the right Sequence settings in FCP 7
on Sep 28, 2012 at 6:05:20 pm

Anything already rendered to HDV will have to be re-rendered no matter what... But should be for that matter.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Prores edited in HDV Sequence in FCP 5, trying to move it to the right Sequence settings in FCP 7
on Sep 28, 2012 at 9:58:33 pm

[Howard Jennsen] "The raw footage is Prores 422 HQ, which is great, but it was edited in a Sequence with an HDV preset "

So go into the sequence settings (or duplicate the HDV sequence and change them there) and re-select the sequence codec. You may have to adjust the clips on the revised sequence for scale and aspect ratio distortion, but that can be done with a few attribute commands.

jPo

I don't get it that so many users think the sequence codec somehow affects the original source media.

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:05:15 pm

Giving this some more thought. What is the ProRes source footage frame rate? If it is different from the HDV sequence, which is probably 2997, you cannot change that while there is media on the sequence.

In the case of (hypothetically) 2398 ProRes, one thing to try is to create a new sequence and import an example ProRes clip onto it. Accept the change if FCP determines it needs to do that, then mass copy the HDV sequence contents to the ProRes sequence. If that frame rate difference does exist, you will have a big job correcting the gaps that FCP will create because it cannot do the 2997/2398 conversion.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]