FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Spec for Final Cut Pro/Express Editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Gunn
Which Spec for Final Cut Pro/Express Editing?
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:23:45 pm

Currently we are using Final Cut Express to quickly churn out thousands of short 2D videos a year. It is time to upgrade/replace our towers and I would like your opinion on which you would prefer (similar cost) and why. We are also considering upgrading to FCP.

The question is whether to go with two slower processors and a traditional moving part drive for the software OR one faster processor and a solid state drive. However, any other suggestions/ideas are welcome.

OPTION ONE:

One 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processor
16GB (4x4GB)
512GB solid-state drive
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
One 18x SuperDrive

OPTION TWO:

Two 2.40GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processors (12 cores)
16GB (8x2GB)
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
One 18x SuperDrive

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Which Spec for Final Cut Pro/Express Editing?
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:58:16 pm

You may have more considerations than you first thought.

As you may be aware, Apple no longer sells the traditional track-oriented Final Cut that you may be used to. It ended with FCP 7. The new Final Cut Pro, X, works far differently than legacy FCP and it's a 64-bit application.

Do you intend to keep using the same software you've been running?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Gunn
on Sep 27, 2012 at 9:09:27 pm

Our current software serves all of our needs for editing complexity and style. For our purposes this is unlikely to change. Retraining for new software is quite prohibitive but not out of the question.

Raw production speed is our main concern and we would highly appreciate any speed increases offered by software better engineered to use multiple cores, etc or hardware that speeds things up like the solid
state drives.

I have heard that this is an unfortunate time to be in the market as Apple's upcoming lineup of machines might be quite different and offer us options we are not considering. I will have to research this further to make a responsible decision. Your input is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Sean Gunn
on Sep 27, 2012 at 9:40:39 pm

Sorry to double post, but if I wasn't clear, we highly favor hardware acceleration. Retraining is very difficult and resisted in our environment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]