FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Pro Res Super 16mm --> Compressor --> DVD Studio Pro (Workflow Critique)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris Riabov
FCP Pro Res Super 16mm --> Compressor --> DVD Studio Pro (Workflow Critique)
on Sep 27, 2012 at 2:02:41 pm

Hello,

I figured I post here rather than the DVD Studio Pro forum.
Before I mention my problem, I'd like to mention that I've tried several types of compression methods and bitrates and unfortunately, my disk still freezes in my player, generally around the same area.
(I have two, minute long clips with Smoothcam there).

I'll try to be as specific about my work-flow as I can and I've posted the photos of my FCP and Compressor settings below.

30 Minutes. Super 16mm.
2K DPX Scans -- > Graded In Color --> Pro Res 4444 23.976 --> Sent To Compressor --> Mpeg 2 + AC3 --> Build & Format With DVD Studio Pro
I set blue compression markers at the start of each Smoothcam clip.

I've sent my timeline to Compressor and used both the 5.5-7 VBR setting and the 6.5 CBR settings (with everything under Frame Controls set to the highest quality).

I am using Sony DVD-R disks. When I play them in my PS3, the film freezes at different points in the first two-three minutes - then skips ahead exactly to the same point in my film - about halfway.
I've set Chapter markers and it skips to the halfway one; from there it plays fine.

1. I wanted to ask if I should maybe export my entire sequence first through FCP (an .mov file) and try Compressing that?
2. Should I set it to Pro Res 422 HQ first?
3. Perhaps I should just try to Compressor with the 90Min-HQ setting without changing anything?
4. Should I remove the Smoothcam?

When I bring the files into DVD Studio Pro, I see under preferences that Studio Pro also has VBR settings. Do those have any effect on my DVD encode? There is no CBR there - only VBR set from 5.5-7.

5. Is there anything I'm doing wrong with regards to my workflow?

Thanks!
-Boris

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: FCP Pro Res Super 16mm --> Compressor --> DVD Studio Pro (Workflow Critique)
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:04:36 pm

[Boris Riabov] "4. Should I remove the Smoothcam?"

Can't say for certain, but if its important to you, i'd "bake" it out and re-imbed it on the timeline before sending to Compressor.

If you are creating an .m2v transport stream, I am at a loss as to how DVD Studio Pro would create a disk that halts and skips if the m2v is intact. You can scrub through it when it is imbedded in DVD Studio Pro?

If still no luck, then exporting a single QT movie would be the next approach.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Boris Riabov
Re: FCP Pro Res Super 16mm --> Compressor --> DVD Studio Pro (Workflow Critique)
on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:17:20 pm

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for responding; I'm feeling that it may be those clips. I tried re-compressing the entire .mov file and it still did the same thing.
My guess is because the clips are Pro Res 4444 and have Smoothcam, they are much harder to compress correctly (my .mov file of the 4444 sequence is 45GB).

I'm will remove the Smoothcam and I've set my sequence to Pro Res 422 (HQ).

I'll re-compress with the same VBR settings again (5.0-7.0) and my guess is to leave Output Fields as same as source rather than progressive - because the SD DVD is interlaced anyway, I believe.

If anyone has any other recommendations - such as maybe downcoverting first in FCP - please let me know.

-Boris

Return to posts index

Boris Riabov
on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:36:16 pm

Nope.
Still freezes same spot. I don't know what's going on; I even played the DVDSP build on my comp and it played fine. Perhaps faulty disks, burn speed, faulty PS3? Should I try another film's sequence with the same settings?

I'll try one last time and remove all the smoothcam clips.

-Boris

Return to posts index

Chelsea Kanstrup
on Oct 13, 2012 at 5:27:46 am

Have you found a solution? I'm have the same problem and I've literally tried everything - this is starting to drive me nuts!! I've never had this problem before, and I've been doing video production for over 8 years. So frustrating!!

Return to posts index

Boris Riabov
on Oct 14, 2012 at 1:17:26 am

Hello Chelsea,

I think so. I've sent my Apple Pro Res 422 sequence from FCP straight to Compressor.

I used the Maximum Quality 90 Min Setting with all settings set to best where applicable.
However, I've left the VBR setting alone as it was. (I also successfully compressed with the 7.5 CBR setting).

I don't know if I may be wrong, but the two variables that seemed to affect the burn were the type of DVD disk I used, and turning off the 'loss-less linking' check-mark in the Build/Format tab of DVD Studio Pro.
I used Sony DVD-R disks and they all failed; I switched to another brand and they worked.
Another thing to keep in mind is to check all of your DVD Studio Pro Preferences before creating your (new) project - make sure it is in SD mode, that the VBR settings match Compressor, etc.

Let me know how it goes.

- Boris

Return to posts index

Chelsea Kanstrup
on Oct 14, 2012 at 4:32:29 am

So strange...I've used Verbatim, TDK, and Memorex discs, have made sure that I have lots of RAM available (3-4GB free while burning), have 160 GB of free space on my internal hard drive, have the bit rates in both Compressor and DVD Studio Pro matching (the standard bit rates that come up under Best Quality DVD: 90 minutes in Compressor of 6.2 and 7.7), have un-checked lossless linking. I've tried it in iDVD as well, and that doesn't solve the problem either. Maybe my burner needs cleaning, or needs to be replaced or repaired? That's about all I can think of at this point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]