FORUMS: list search recent posts

gamma shift in FCP 6 when render and using graphics/alpha channels

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Bass
gamma shift in FCP 6 when render and using graphics/alpha channels
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:04:07 am

Hi. I've googled around and can't find anything on this. It's a little different than all the other gamma-shift issues I've read about relating to FCP.

I'm finding that after applying color correction, and rendering, my rendered clips, in the timeline mind you, now look lighter (about 5% on the scope) than they did when they were unrendered. Same issue when I go from a just looking at footage to looking at footage with another video layer with graphics overlaid on top. The graphics were created in motion 3 and have alpha channels (animation codec). Whenever the clip with the graphics begins, the video immediately lightens. Tried different alpha settings (straight, black, etc.), none alleviate this.

I feel it has something to do with a setting somewhere, but I'm overwhelmed by the number of possibilities (the raw footage? Setting in FCP? Setting in QT? system prefs for gamma on the mac? etc.)

This project primarily uses footage shot on a 5DM2. I converted it to prores422 using 5D2RGB, the 1.8/flatter gamma setting, before starting to edit.

Should the sequence be set to "render in RGB"? Or YUV? Or what? Does this have anything to do with it? What about the "imported still/footage gamma" setting? What should that be?

Do I need to start a new project sequence, and copy/paste the footage from the problematic sequence into it to see the new gamma settings take effect? Am I totally screwed and need to import the footage again as if starting the project over?

If it's too much trouble I may simply compensate with additional color correction, doing tests to figure out how to get the correct look with rendered footage comparing it to the unrendered. That seems very silly though.

Can anyone help? This is all very annoying. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]