FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 / iMac 3.4ghz i7- ProRes FRAME TEARING during playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin DeOliveira
Final Cut Pro 7 / iMac 3.4ghz i7- ProRes FRAME TEARING during playback
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:25:34 pm

Hi fellas,

I ran into a bump over the past few days and wanted to ask the community about it.

Last week I moved from my old Quad 2.66 Mac Pro to a new 27" iMac i7. Specs below:

2011 27" iMac
Mountain Lion (most recent iteration)
i7 / 3.4 ghz
12 gig of ram
Standard iMac video card - 1 GB VRAM
OEM 1tb Boot drive

+27" Thunderbolt display
+2x Lacie Thunderbolt 2big Drives (storing video files)
+BlackMagic Thunderbolt Intensity Extreme

This machine is beautiful, and runs everything great so far. I migrated my apps, users, and files from a time machine backup without issue. CS6 screams on this pup.

However.... Good old FCP7 is acting a little funny. It seems to run smooth and solid, but playback has been lacking.

During playback of a 1080p ProRes 422 24p timeline, I'm seeing horizontal frame tearing on the canvas. You guys have seen this before. It's than odd looking scan line that creeps up the video, creating a little rift in the image. It seems to occur when the motion in the scene is more fast and complicated. Since I cut a lot of music videos, this is a problem. It's distracting and disrupts the ability to watch for eye trace and rhythm.

The really odd part is that I haven't seen any tearing issues in Premiere Pro (CS6) or Quicktime Pro (7). I even cracked open three separate video files in quicktime and played them back simultaneously. No tearing. Yet, one 1080p sequence in FCP, tearin' like a mofo.

I was worried that it was due to my additional 27" cinema display tugging on the video card, but then how is quicktime handling files fine? I tried those on each screen to see it I could tear the playback. None to be found.

Is it possible that FCP7 just isn't maximized for the new OS / hardware? God knows, it's a little long in the tooth at this point.

I'll be transitioning to Premiere over the next month and a half, so this issue isn't exactly killing me... but I'd like to address it if possible.

Any thoughts or similar struggles out there?

http://kevdeo.com

Return to posts index

Kevin DeOliveira
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 / iMac 3.4ghz i7- ProRes FRAME TEARING during playback
on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:16:14 am

No one?

Kevin DeOliveira - Director / Editor - kevdeo.com

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:12:42 am

I have the same problem, but no solutions. I'm using a GTX 570 and RAID 0, so Prores shouldn't be struggling.

Return to posts index

Darryl Tocco
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:04:01 pm

I just cracked open a 2012 Imac and I'm experiencing the exact problem with Pro Res on a 720/30p timeline. Did you ever reach any resolutions on this issue? Definitely annoying.

Return to posts index

Kevin DeOliveira
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:47:06 pm

Hi Darryl,

The issue is still here. No resolution found. At this point, I'm moving to Premiere CS6 so I've decided not to rack up any more man hours trying to troubleshoot it. For my older projects, it will be annoying... but I can live with it.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Cheers to newer software!

Kevin DeOliveira - Director / Editor - kevdeo.com

Return to posts index

Darryl Tocco
on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:11:34 pm

Thanks for the response, Kevin. Looks like after this project I might be brushing up on premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]