FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Sync problem: FCP 7 timestamping .WAV audio file at 25fps in 23.98 fps project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Behrens
Audio Sync problem: FCP 7 timestamping .WAV audio file at 25fps in 23.98 fps project
on Sep 26, 2012 at 1:16:50 pm

Hi there.

Before I report the problem I will post the settings I am working with:

Footage:

VIDEO:
Capture device: Panasonic GH2 with Atomos Samurai Attachment
Video files: HD1080i 1920 x 1080 Apple Prores 422 HQ 23.98 FPS

AUDIO:
Capture Device: Professional TASCAM .wav recorder (this is all I know)
Audio files: .WAV 16bit 48Khz

FCP SETTINGS:

Apple ProRes 422 HQ 1920 x 1080 24p 48Khz
Audio: 16 bit 48Khz Stereo

In my FCP timeline, audio is drifting slightly — about 6 frames over 2 minute clips. I am still at the stage where I am syncing up all the audio and video prior to editing a feature film, and everything has been going fine (I have synced up about 15 days footage so far) until I reached the point where the soundman changed his equipment.

Although he has captured in the same WAV format as on the previous device, Final Cut is timestamping the audio of these files at a TC rate of 25 ( his previous files were timestamped at the correct 24), even though all of my frame rate settings are (I believe at least) correct.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. I did try Matt Lyon's fix for a similar issue but it failed to work... I am a relative newbie and this is the first feature I am working on so please help :)

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Audio Sync problem: FCP 7 timestamping .WAV audio file at 25fps in 23.98 fps project
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:13:52 am

24 is not the same as 23.976
So it seems your project settings are wrong.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Charlie Behrens
Re: Audio Sync problem: FCP 7 timestamping .WAV audio file at 25fps in 23.98 fps project
on Sep 27, 2012 at 2:37:59 pm

Thanks for this, Bouke.

I am aware that 24 and 23.976 are indeed different.

However, is what I have read in posts elsewhere on this forum, that FCP 7 reads 23.976 as 23.98, and that, in turn, audio can only be timestamped in FCP 7 as 24? When I check in modify>timecode, there is no 23.98 (or, indeed 23.976 option?)

Thanks,

C

http://www.charliebehrens.com
Video Art, Editing & Graphic Design

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:09:20 pm

If the Tascam has recorded broadcast wave with the wrong frame rate, you could download Sound Devices Wave Agent and change the audio file metadata to 23.976. Change the file name so you don't overwrite the originals and also because FCP might remember the previous flagging which happens on import.

Resync and it shouldn't drift. The drift you mentioned is less than 25>23.98.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]