Weak video card

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastien Davis
Weak video card
on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:13:59 pm

Hello to all !
Here is my problem.

When I open my FCP viewer on my external monitor, I only have sound and no image whatsoever.
When I open FCP only on my laptop everything works fine. When I close my laptop and everything on my external, everything fine.
When I open my viewer on my laptop and my events on my external, everything fine.

I'm on Mountain Lion and the latest version of FCPX.
My MBP is early 2011 and my video card is AMD RADEON HD 6490M 256 Mo (and I think the problem comes from there !)
Had no problem when I was on Lion with FCPX 10.0.4

I wouldn't want to downgrade as it's so complicated.
If I buy a blackmagic card like UltraStudio Express, do you think that I will be able to overcome my weak video card. Unless the problem comes from eslewhere ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Seb

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Weak video card
on Sep 26, 2012 at 1:45:56 pm

[Sebastien Davis] "If I buy a blackmagic card like UltraStudio Express, do you think that I will be able to overcome my weak video card. Unless the problem comes from eslewhere ?"
That's an IO card, good for capturing and monitoring, but won't add any processing power to your Mac.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sebastien Davis
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:08:34 pm

And if I add a PCIe card ?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 26, 2012 at 3:12:32 pm

As long as I know there is no way to add more power to a MBP. You can't change the GPU as could be done on a Mac Pro. The only thing you can do to speed up some processes, is to add more RAM, but your issue is not RAM related, is about the 265MB VRAM.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]