FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixelation on Black suit Coats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex DeRosa
Pixelation on Black suit Coats
on Sep 25, 2012 at 7:47:20 pm

I have some shots of different people wearing black suit coats, interview style. Shooting suit coats always tends to be pretty grainy and noisy. Is there a way to avoid that when shooting or fix it in post?
I am editing it in Final cut and moving the raw edit into After Effects for chroma keying.
It seems to be in the raw video file and get a little worse after keying.

Any thoughts? idea?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Pixelation on Black suit Coats
on Sep 25, 2012 at 7:51:07 pm

Shooting with what camera? Shooting compressed formats means more compression artifacts. The higher the data rate, less artifacting you'll get.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex DeRosa
on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:22:14 pm

Shooting with a Canon XHA1.

Thanks for your response

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:03:10 pm

OK...that's HDV. Step 1 would be to get out of HDV as fast as possible. Capture as ProRes (tutorial here by Chris Poisson, look for it) right away, and work as ProRes from start to finish. But know that the GOP format is pretty compressed. That's how HD content can fit on the exact same tape as DV did...both HDV and DV have the same data rate. That's a LOT of compression.

Want to avoid it? Get an AJA KiPro or KiPro Mini(if the camera has SDI or HDMI out) or Atmos Ninja or Samurai and record to a higher data rate format...ProRes direct! Skip HDV altogether. That will help tons.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alex DeRosa
on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:46:20 pm

That definitely makes sense. I will set my capture settings to HDV-Apple ProRes.
Some of the footage that I am having an issue with is from another source where it was recorded to a hard drive and i used log and transfer to get it into Final Cut. That footage seems to be worse than the one captured by the XHA1. Is there any similar technique when logging and transferring that will help clear up that footage.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:31:20 pm

What camera does this other footage come from? Again, the acquisition format and camera used comes into play big time. Is it an iPhone capture? Cheap handycam? P2 camera? XDCAM? Red? Log and transfer to ProRes 422, to match the HDV. But if it looks bad to begin with, not much you can do.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 26, 2012 at 6:19:32 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say make sure you have adequate lighting during the shoot and that everything is properly exposed. Once the footage is recorded the damage is done and transcoding to another codec isn't going to fix it.

I run into this problem all the time where someone lights and expose for the subjects skin tone (typically Caucasian) and lets dark colored clothing remain underexposed which means it turns into a bunch of ugly, blocky noise. One show I did the color for had this problem so I talked to production and said they either need to add more lights to the shoots (which were almost always on location) or they need to stop dressing the talent in dark colors. They opted to stop dressing talent in dark colors.

Return to posts index

Alex DeRosa
on Sep 26, 2012 at 6:25:29 pm

That definitely sounds like it could be the issue that more of the light focuses on the face than on the coat.
Black coats have always been bad but never this bad.
Thanks for your response

Return to posts index

Alex DeRosa
on Sep 26, 2012 at 6:23:29 pm

I believe it came from an XDCam. When you log and transfer to Apple Pro Res, is it the same setting you change for when you capture it, or is there another spot?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 26, 2012 at 6:31:09 pm

The type of fabric used in the clothing can make a difference as well.

Open the Log and Transfer tool, click on the little gear/cog near the top of the Log and Transfer window and click on preferences. That's where you'll adjust the codec import settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]