FORUMS: list search recent posts

photos in project as 60fps and 25fps- why? Also questions about image quality, output and digital monitors.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
heidi schrodinger
photos in project as 60fps and 25fps- why? Also questions about image quality, output and digital monitors.
on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:31:49 am

Hi,
I have so many questions to post- I just wish I could sit down and have a real chat with someone savvy. Anyway, if anyone is out there that can answer my queries, you will be worshipped from afar.
1:
I am going through my 30 minute film looking at the still images imported from various digital camera and fixed resized in Photoshop Elements. I notice that some images have 60fps as part of their info, and others have 25fps. My film is shot in SD PAL.
Why is this- it seems so random that some are 60 and others 25. Is this going to be a problem when I export? How does a photo have a frame rate?

2: some of the photos are of less quality than others- from older cameras with less megapixels ( I have collected a large number of images from my local community for this project about the 2009 Bushfires here in Australia)- when I resize to 72 dpi in Photoshop, the pixel size gets adjusted so it is too low/small for Pal ( which is 640x480) .
So... can I just ignore the dpi as it is just a print thing- and resize the pixels so that each image is bigger- ( and by extension, the dpi is bigger )
and will these bigger pixel dimensions mean better quality on screen? This doesn't make much sense- sorry. Another way of saying what I mean is- if I have some smaller megapixel images- will they look crappy whatever I do with them, or do they have to be smaller than 640x480 to look crappy?

3: I am worried that my SD PAL film will not look great on a large, or even a medium size flat screen digital tv or monitor. Has anyone experience with this?
WHEN I do go to output ( soon, I have a deadline of a couple of weeks) and baring in mind I have never done an output on FCP (only on i-movie and years ago on AVID- like last century ) what is the best way to get the best looking project to view on a digital monitor? Does it involve any special formatting etc?

thanks so much for your help. I'll repost this in the basics category, too.
Heidi

'Getting back into making after a long time off'

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: photos in project as 60fps and 25fps- why? Also questions about image quality, output and digital monitors.
on Sep 21, 2012 at 11:04:26 am

[heidi schrodinger] "I notice that some images have 60fps as part of their info, and others have 25fps. My film is shot in SD PAL. "
Dont worry about that. Stills have no time base. Those are old FC manias.

[heidi schrodinger] " some of the photos are of less quality than others- from older cameras with less megapixels ( I have collected a large number of images from my local community for this project about the 2009 Bushfires here in Australia)- when I resize to 72 dpi in Photoshop,"

[heidi schrodinger] ": some of the photos are of less quality than others- from older cameras with less megapixels ( I have collected a large number of images from my local community for this project about the 2009 Bushfires here in Australia)- when I resize to 72 dpi in Photoshop, the pixel size gets adjusted so it is too low/small for Pal ( which is 640x480) .
So... can I just ignore the dpi as it is just a print thing- and resize the pixels so that each image is bigger- ( and by extension, the dpi is bigger )
and will these bigger pixel dimensions mean better quality on screen? This doesn't make much sense- sorry. Another way of saying what I mean is- if I have some smaller megapixel images- will they look crappy whatever I do with them, or do they have to be smaller than 640x480 to look crappy? "

- You don't have to care about the DPIs. Video do not understand of "inches". What you have to care is about the number of pixels wide by pixels high. You don't need to resize unless the pictures are too big.

- PAL is not 640x480. is 720xx576 (PAL pixels). For squared pixels materials (your stills), you need "768x576" pixels (for 4x3 aspect ratio) or 1024x576 pixels (for 16x9) to fit the canvas without rescaling.

[heidi schrodinger] "3: I am worried that my SD PAL film will not look great on a large, or even a medium size flat screen digital tv or monitor. Has anyone experience with this?
WHEN I do go to output ( soon, I have a deadline of a couple of weeks) and baring in mind I have never done an output on FCP (only on i-movie and years ago on AVID- like last century ) what is the best way to get the best looking project to view on a digital monitor? Does it involve any special formatting etc?"

Unless you intend to make a DVD or broadcast, there is no reason for you to edit in PAL.
If you intend to play your movie mainly in computers or digital TVs some time you will need to convert to Squared pixels and your movie will need to be progressive.

(Stills are progressive and squared pixels, if you edit in PAL, you will make them interlaced and pal pixels, and if you want to display them well in PC screens you will need to rescale and deinterlace them: You have many reasons to edit in 1080 or 720 progressive. Better size for displaying and less picture degradation.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

heidi schrodinger
Re: photos in project as 60fps and 25fps- why? Also questions about image quality, output and digital monitors.
on Sep 22, 2012 at 1:58:19 pm

Thanks Raphael. I have been rescaling the pics a little and losing the edges, some to the images detriment.

My main viewing will be from a dvd on a tv, I suspect. It will be shown in a gallery setting. Slight chance of broadcast, but since it is SD may not be possible. May just be too crappy looking.

I have edited the thing already- nearly ready to output. Just getting a sound mix done.
So since I have edited in Pal, can I convert to 1080 or 720 progressive? Or is it too late?

Should I do a separate different output for dvd and one for internet- like to put on vimeo or whatever?

Cheers!
Heidi

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 23, 2012 at 4:57:48 am

Your best bet is to always edit in 1080i or 1080p whenever possible. You can always easily output a SD or 720p version. But it is very difficult, especially on a project of individually scaled stills, scale up to HD. You can't convert the SD file. The data is gone. You could convert the sequence to HD or copy/paste the content of the seqeunce to an HD sequence, but all the individual scaling and / or animating of the stills will have to be redone by hand. If they're all the same size with the same scale, then one could be adjusted, and then it's properties copied and pasted to the others. But I'm guessing that's not the case.

Return to posts index

heidi schrodinger
on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:57:34 am

Arrggghh! If only I knew this some months ago ( if only I had done my homework properly!)

I am at the stage right now of placing all individual projects ( stories) on to one new big project. I was just going to set up another SD project/timeline for this.

I ( think I ) am willing to rescale all my still images within the projects as you outline to fudge a HD output
( none of the stills are keyed to move, only a few have dissolves or opacity effects, all of them are resized from the originals )

But do you mean I may have to find the original photos and take them through Photoshop and resize to a different pixel ration for 1080i or 1080p and then drop them back in the timeline/project?
If so, I don't think I would meet my deadline!

Cheers,
Heidi

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Sep 25, 2012 at 5:03:42 am

[heidi schrodinger] "Arrggghh! If only I knew this some months ago"

Something else you would have liked to have known about some months ago is this:

http://www.noiseindustries.com/fxfactory/panandzoom/

It's free & worth every penny!

Neil.

- - - - - - - - -
Neil Ryan
Post Production Protagonist

- - - - - - - - -

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 25, 2012 at 11:59:19 pm

Well, if the graphics weren't at least HD in the first place, then yes, they'll all have to be resized.

In PS, when you go to image>resize make sure you uncheck resample image when you change the dpi. But in fact, DPI is ignored by FCP anyway. So in PS just downscale your images so they're less than 4000x4000. And if you're zooming in real close on something, just doing some basic reframing, you can usually keep them in the 2500x2500 range.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]