FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing in Pro Res, exporting in...?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alice Klein
Editing in Pro Res, exporting in...?
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:19:54 am

Hi. This may be a question for the basics forum but am a new user and usually read things in this forum, so posting it here. Apologies if it's the wrong level - I will repost elsewhere if needs be.

I shot HD footage on a Sony A1E, this was converted by someone else because I no longer had a tape camera, I'd started filming on card. He gave me H264.ts files which FCP didn't like. So I converted these to Apple Pro Res 422 and they came out 640 x 480.

I then took two interviews a friend had filmed for me which he said were HD. They were .movs, 720 x 576 DVC-PAL. For consistency between the two, I converted these to Apple Pro Res 422 too, and they are now 640 x 480.

I have started editing the two sets of files in FCP and everything seems fine but before I get too far, I wanted to ask how I should export it and to do a small test. The output specs are meant to be 16:9 HDV or Full HD in Quicktime format, full resolution. Any help much appreciated, again sorry if this is basic but I have never down-converted to Pro Res to edit then exported as something bigger/better before. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Editing in Pro Res, exporting in...?
on Sep 21, 2012 at 2:47:13 pm

Alice,
If you intend to deliver in full HD, you should convert the H264 files to Prores, but keeping the original size. You should also convert the DV stuff to prores and upscale at the same time in Compressor. Export with the same setting than the H264 footage so both will work well on the same sequence.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Alice Klein
Re: Editing in Pro Res, exporting in...?
on Sep 26, 2012 at 1:50:30 pm

Thanks Rafael.

Now I'll prove why I should be posting in the basic forum: I just converted to pro res, how do I find out if it's still the original size? And when exporting the film, how do I upscale...presumably I change the export settings to a variation of HD1080 (rather than H.264) and it will upscale for me? Or do I do it afterwards in compressor?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]