FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7: Audio clips disappearing from timeline or are "editing themselves"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julia Morizawa
FCP7: Audio clips disappearing from timeline or are "editing themselves"
on Sep 19, 2012 at 5:47:24 pm

I am editing in FCP7. I would say, about 2-3 times per editing session, I will notice that audio clips on my timeline have either disappeared completely or have been shortened against my doing. Generally it's a section in my film that I edited a while ago and am revisiting. This only happens with audio - the video will still be there, but there will just be a huge gap in my timeline where the audio clip used to be below it.

At first I thought I had forgotten to re-link or lock these particular audio clips back to their video after making some adjustments. And therefore, when I moved items elsewhere, those clips were getting written over. [On another subject, I HATE that FCP writes over clips when I copy/paste or move things. This is so illogical that I know I must be doing something wrong and just haven't found the setting to fix it.]

But regardless, I don't understand how these audio clips literally just keep disappearing. I think it has to do w/ the extracting and re-linking of audio from their "parent" video clips. Because I did not start having this problem until my 4th or 5th pass at editing, when I started getting nit-picky and overlapping audio, etc.

Any advice appreciated. I hate that I have to spend 1/2 my editing session each day RE-DOING things that I've already done because of this. Fortunately I save a new version of my sequence each day, so when it does happen, I can just open the previous day's version and copy/paste the items that have disappeared back in. But I think it's a bit ridiculous I have to take the time to do that anyway.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: FCP7: Audio clips disappearing from timeline or are "editing themselves"
on Sep 20, 2012 at 8:10:52 am

Have you started with some basic house keeping? Trash FCP permissions, repair disk permissions etc?

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor
Editor, Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

William Carr
Re: FCP7: Audio clips disappearing from timeline or are "editing themselves"
on Sep 24, 2012 at 1:55:50 am

You may have fixed the problem by now, but if not try trashing the Audio Renders at Tools>Render Manager, then copy and paste the entire edit into a fresh sequence. If still problems, select all the audio on the sequence and do a Sequence>Render Only>Mixdown.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved