FORUMS: list search recent posts

false warning about display?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
false warning about display?
on Sep 17, 2012 at 1:43:21 pm

I'm getting this warning about a Samsung E1920 display connected to a MacBook pro - I prefer to make this display the primary finder/desktop and use the actual MacBook as a ancillary 2nd monitor

"This configuration is not supported... software may not function properly." Final Cut wants a 1280x800 display whereas the Samsung doesn't offer that... but is very wide screen and runs at 1366x768.

I don't have time to run extensive tests because I need to buy another monitor this week. Since I like the Samsung brand and they all seems to be the same wide aspect ratio... is there any substance to this warning or can I ignore it?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: false warning about display?
on Sep 17, 2012 at 1:50:18 pm

Just realize that you are not getting an accurate video output from the monitor. It makes a great computer display.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 17, 2012 at 2:00:24 pm

Thanks Steve. Does that greater risk of artifacts or stutter in the video playback in the canvas display?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:02:51 pm

That is kinda bizarre. But, I don't think you could buy a display with that low of resolution now if you tried. Perhaps they're still selling 720p displays, but I would think they're all 1080p.

In either case, you're just using it as a computer display correct? You can use it as a playback monitor, but FCP wants a bigger display for the canvas and such I guess. I have an iMac 27" for canvas/viewer, and an old acer 20" that's 1680x1050 for my bins and palettes. FCP has never complained. I've occasionally used it for HD monitoring before I got an HD monitor and matrox. But that was mainly to see resolution or to have a bigger canvas. Don't try to actually judge color rendition or image quality on a computer display. It doesn't support interlaced, proper gamma, or smooth playback. You'll get judder even on progressive.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:25:19 pm

Yes Bret I'm talking about the computer display. It asks for 1280x800 and I'm giving it 1366x768 which is more than enough horizontal real estate and a little shy on the vertical. Am I right in thinking that at worst I'm short-changing FCP a little on Timeline area - which shouldn't be a big deal?

When you say "I don't think you could buy a display with that low of resolution" you don't mean 1280x800 do you?

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:52:46 pm

I was talking about a television monitor. From your post it sounded like you were using a samsung TV as a computer monitor. But perhaps not. In any case, it does look like they still make 720p TVs. I thought they'd pretty much vanished, but for small TVs they're still around. And sure, you can get a computer monitor in that size too, but I think I'd at least get something that's 1920x1080.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:08:18 pm

How about this angle... the aspect ratio is a non issue (?) My Samsung E1920 (20") does come up short with a height of 768 vs FCP's desired 800. (and I can see that really does shortchange real estate for the Timeline)

However if I a get a bigger Samsung with the same (now standard for them) widescreen aspect ratio, it should satisfy FCP's resolution requirements (more than 800 height), even though the monitor might not do 1280x800 per se. What say you?

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]