FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-installing FCP 7 after clean Mountain Lion install. Only problem: No disks.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max McCabe
Re-installing FCP 7 after clean Mountain Lion install. Only problem: No disks.
on Sep 14, 2012 at 2:22:14 pm

Hi All,

At a new job, I've inherited a completely chaotic Mac Pro running FCP 7 on Snow Leopard with loads of other funky cracked software and plugins.
I need to do a compeltely clean install of Mountain Lion, and just reinstall Final Cut Pro 7 on there, So I can hook it up with some legit applications.

I have the serial and license, but no install disks.

Will it be possible to re-install FCP?

Thanks so much. Long time reader, first time poster.

Max

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Re-installing FCP 7 after clean Mountain Lion install. Only problem: No disks.
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:21:39 pm

Without disks, you can't install FCP 7. FCP 7 only came on disks. Where are the disks?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Max McCabe
Re: Re-installing FCP 7 after clean Mountain Lion install. Only problem: No disks.
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:26:24 pm

Hi Shane,
Thanks for coming back on this.
My predecessor left me without disks (or any IT info whatsoever). He was the only computer literate person in the company and I'm just trying to clean up his mess.

Can you think of any solutions, besides not doing a clean install?

Best wishes,
Max

Return to posts index

Max McCabe
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:55:38 pm

OK, I managed to do some serious rummaging and track down the disks, but I'd love to leave the thread open, in case anyone else has had the same problem as me.

These things happen!

Thanks,
Max

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:58:11 pm

It's rather easy, you need the disks, or someone with the disks and your own serial number.

I think you can still call Apple and order FCS3 directly from them as well.

And there's fleaBay.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Max McCabe
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:24:29 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

However, I'm afraid the plot thickens.

So I'm trying to keep our copy of FCP 7, but the disks I found were for FCS 2, with FCP 6, so I'm guessing this guy must have updated Final Cut at some point?

Does this mean the serial is only good for a 6-7 update and not to install my FCS 2 disks, or someone else's FCP 7?

Do any of you know if the serial can give any clues to whether it's an update serial or a full copy serial?

Sorry- hope that makes sense. Any guidance appreciated.

Best wishes,
Max

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:32:30 pm

[Max McCabe] "Does this mean the serial is only good for a 6-7 update and not to install my FCS 2 disks, or someone else's FCP 7?"

Do you have the FCP7 serial?

If so and you can find someone with the install disks, you can install FCP7 and enter your current 7 serial. If it was an upgrade serial, the installer will ask for your FCP6 serial, which it sounds like you have. Enter that, and away you go.

No reason to install FCP6 at all.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:24:34 pm

We have had many people saying they have the disks but no the key.
I think you are the first one around having the key but no the discs.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Max McCabe
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:27:28 pm

Haha, well I hope I'm less shady than those chancers!

From what I'm told, this is a real copy of FCP
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:30:06 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I think you are the first one around having the key but no the discs."

A much better situation to be in!!! ;)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:37:04 pm

I dunno...still as useless. Install the app, but no serial to use it...unusable. Have the serial but no app to install...unusable.

The Serial won't work for FCS2...you'll have a separate one for that. But that won't even install on Mountain Lion...so forget that. Find someone with the disks...borrow them and use your serial.

Yeah, this is a unique situation.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Whiting
on Oct 8, 2012 at 6:34:57 pm

This is sort've a related question:

I recently bought a 2012 mac book pro (2.7 ghz intel core i7) and it came PRE-LOADED with os 10.8.2 - no OS discs included (?)

I have been using final cut pro 6.0.6 and when i attempted to install & open it i got an error message:

"Final Cut Pro Can Not Open Because of a Problem:
Check with the developer to make sure Final Cut Pro works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X."

I can't seem to find any literature on whether or not FCP 6 works with a 'fresh' (new) version of 10.8 (not upgraded from a previous OS).

I would re-install an older OS and then upgrade, but i don't have the 10.8 discs!

What is the best course of action:

> Partition the hard drive so FCP can run with older OS?
> Buy FCP 7? ($$$)
> Demand OS 10.8 discs from Apple and try and install older OS (I have 10.5 on hand) with FCP 6 and then upgrade to 10.8?
> Some other clever, cost-saving work-around?

Any advice in this area is much appreciated!

Thank you

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:38:11 pm

Sure :-)
I don't think there is any cue on the numbers to know if you have an upgrade or full version, but having FCE2, the most normal option was upgrading because was just 300$$ instead of almost 1.000.
If is an upgrade you need both serial numbers to install it.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]