FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to search clip metadata fields like log notes and description

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Is it possible to search clip metadata fields like log notes and description
on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:58:07 am

I'm cutting something covering a human chess game. To try and help with the complexity of keeping track of camera positions and directions that it's facing I'm making a very detailed bin structure and a lot of details in the metadata fields like shot, angle, log notes and description to try and help me keep a track of footage.

this should work out but sometimes the degree of organisation is counterproductive because of the complex directory structure I have to navigate to find an individual shot, sometimes if I know the shot number or the name of a person in the description field I'd like to be able to search. I know this kind of thing is usually more of a Media Management software niche but I'm talking bare bones here, I just want to search a text string and find where in my bin structure the matching text string is. Is such a thing possible?

Return to posts index

Jeff Rouric
Re: Is it possible to search clip metadata fields like log notes and description
on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:37:21 am

Hi Jimmy,

I think you can do this by having the browser as the active window and then hit Cmd F, which opens the Find dialog where you can search for clips with certain text elements. You can even specify certain fields to look in which is what I think you want.

And if that doesn't work, you could select everything in the browser and export a batch list, then open the batch list in your favorite spreadsheet program and it will appear as a spreadsheet with each metadata field as a column.

I personally like to name all my clips LOCATION_CAMERAANGLE_WHATITIS_CU/MS/WS (Some other parameters sometimes but you get the idea.) But I'm waiting on the community to tell me if I'm wrong to do so or not.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
Re: Is it possible to search clip metadata fields like log notes and description
on Sep 13, 2012 at 2:05:29 am

That's awesome!!

Thanks so much man. Strangely enough most of the fields where you can enter data are searchable through this method yet some of them, specifically log note and description aren't in the drop down list of fields to be searched. However if yo search 'all fields' it seems to search through everything including log and note and description and also I can just put my description data in one of the comment fields which are searchable so no biggy.

You've been a big help, appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]