FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames on Mountain Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernardo Brik
Dropped Frames on Mountain Lion
on Sep 11, 2012 at 1:28:03 pm

I installed Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro 8 core. Everything seems to work fine, but FCP 7.0.3. I get dropped frames after a few seconds of playback. This system works fine with Lion. Any ideas?

My setup is:
Mac Pro 5,1 8 core
15gb RAM
System on 120gb SSD
Data on 12tb internal RAID
Nvidia GTX 570 (non EFI)
DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+

Thanks in advance,
Bernardo

Return to posts index

Borko Grujic
Re: Dropped Frames on Mountain Lion
on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:20:21 am

Hi,

I have the same problem (very similar setup). Big problem when recording to tape!

Let me know if you figure it out.

I also have flicker when playing mov files in quicktime on all mountain lion macs

B.

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Oct 9, 2012 at 12:52:59 pm

Hi Borko, I havent figured it out yet. I think it has to be a problem with Mountain Lion's nvidia driver. But I didn't swap the GTX for my ATI for testing yet.
Here FCP stops playing around the first 5 seconds of play. If it goes beyond that limit, it can play the entire program.
Let me know if you find something.
Bernardo

Return to posts index

Joe Langenfeld
on Oct 14, 2012 at 5:48:01 pm

I have the same problem, dropped frames in FCP7 with Mountain Lion on a Mac Pro 8 core and a Macbook air, even with DV footage. Booting in Lion with same project plays perfectly, no dropped frames. Let's hope update fixes...

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Oct 14, 2012 at 10:29:10 pm

I am having this same issue. Just changed my system from a Kona 3 to the BMD Decklink 3D+ card and upgraded to Mountain Lion and now it's drop frame city.

I was running FCP 7 for about 4 days in Mountain Lion prior to swapping cards with out drop frames so it looks like it's the Decklink.

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Oct 15, 2012 at 6:05:46 pm

What PCI slot are people's Decklink cards installed in? Mine is in slot4, only other option for me is slot3. Haven't tested swapping yet.

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Oct 17, 2012 at 11:30:00 pm

Mine is in slot 3. Are you positive that the issue is with the DeckLink? I thought it was nVidia related.

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:46:55 pm

It's definitely DeckLink. I isolated everything NVidia out of my system and the problem persisted.

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Oct 17, 2012 at 5:59:08 pm

Has anyone found a solution to this? I recently tried isolating my NVidia cards from the system and disabled the NVidia drivers with no luck. The only thing that solved it was to disable the driver for the Blackmagic DeckLink, but then I have no video output. This wasn't an issue under Mountain Lion with my Kona 3 card, but that card is incompatible with Resolve.

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:13:03 am

Hi, I think the issue is with black magic audio. I changed FCP audio outputs to use internal line out and it looks like the problem is solved!

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:46:00 pm

Yes, the audio out on the Blackmagic card does seem to contribute to the problem. However, problem just changes, I get video out with out dropped frames but now my audio is out of sync!

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Oct 19, 2012 at 5:27:02 pm

As an update for those following this thread, we have reproduced the issue here in our lab and it has been passed up for investigation.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:37:58 am

Thank you, Sarah. These are very good news.

Return to posts index

Rob McDougall
on Oct 27, 2012 at 9:27:48 am

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for letting us all know.

I've just purchased a Blackmagic Decklink Pro PCI Video Card which is on it's way for my Mac Pro 8 Core system with Mountain Lion.

I'm currently having issues already with internal audio with FCP7 & ML, I'm naively hoping the BM card might even help (even if only in other areas).

Do you expect this card to also have issues with Mountain Lion?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Loyd
on Nov 14, 2012 at 1:40:36 am

Same issue with intensity pro. Installed mountain lion on a new intel SSD with fresh fcp 7 install; dropped frames. Will try without intensity tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Daniel Loyd
Editor, Producer
http://DanielLoyd.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Foster
on Jan 4, 2013 at 2:24:16 pm

Sarah,

Are there any updates regarding this issue? I have downloaded and installed the newest DeckLink driver posted (Dec 14th, 2012). But the problem with constant dropped frames still exist.

Return to posts index

Jesse Coane
on Jan 5, 2013 at 9:16:48 pm

Also wondering if there is an update to this.

thanks

Jesse

Director / Editor
http://www.jessecoane.com
@jessecoane

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Jan 6, 2013 at 11:57:35 pm

Yes, I would also like to know if any progress/updates have been made to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Adam

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Jan 12, 2013 at 5:07:10 am

Today I re-installed Mountain Lion on my edit machine and this seems to have solved the issue. I no longer have dropped frames through my Decklink card.

Note:I only re-installed Mountain Lion, I didn't start with a clean drive and do a fresh install as has been suggested on other forums.

Return to posts index

Jesse Coane
on Jan 12, 2013 at 7:35:16 am

How do you reinstall Mountain Lion without erasing the drive?

Director / Editor
@jessecoane

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Jan 12, 2013 at 8:25:17 am

When you boot up your machine, hold down 'command R'. This will eventually take you to a page that gives you a number of options, one of them being reinstall mountain lion.

Hope it works for you.

Adam

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jan 12, 2013 at 3:05:33 pm

Adam,

After re-installing did you find you had to reinstall or reactivate any licenses on that machine? Did network settings for instance have to be manually setup? I have a number of node locked licenses that use OS generated system keys (Foundry, metaSAN) I am concerned about screwing up in this process.

Also after re-installing. are you sending audio out over the Decklink card with picture (audio follows video) and not getting dropped frames? How about with Pro-Res footage and timelines? I had found that Uncompressed 10-bit didn't drop frames so much but ProRes did like crazy.

Thanks,

bk

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Jan 12, 2013 at 10:22:26 pm

Brandon,

The re-install didn't affect any licensing or the structure of my system drive. Everything remained the same, untouched.

I've just checked the Foundry plugin I have for After Effects. It's working fine (node locked).

Pro Res 4444 is working as it was prior to upgrade. No dropped frames at all with audio and video running via my Decklink card.

Basically it appears that the re-intall works in the same way as the upgrade of the OS, as it doesn't mess with your previous disk image other than updating OS components.

Why has this worked? I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps something wasn't installed properly during the upgrade process compared with what occurred with the re-install.

Good luck.

Adam

Return to posts index

Jesse Coane
on Jan 12, 2013 at 11:32:18 pm

Tried the Mountain Lion Re-install. No luck. Still dropping frames in FCP7 on single layer ProRES playback (no RT effects). System seems the same so might be worth other people trying since it worked for someone. Premiere isn't see CUDA anymore so need to figure that out. To clarify I'm using the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor, not a decklink card.

Jesse

UPDATE: Had to reinstall CUDA drivers after mountain lion reinstall. System Preferences had CUDA there but Adobe wasn't seeing it.

Director / Editor
@jessecoane

Return to posts index

Jesse Coane
on Jan 16, 2013 at 5:53:59 pm

I downgraded Blackmagic drivers to 9.6.8 and the dropped frames seem to have stopped. This is on 10.8.2 with the ultrastuido mini monitor. I did used the uninstaller before I downgraded.

Jesse

Director / Editor
@jessecoane

Return to posts index

tyler Granlund
on May 10, 2013 at 5:17:56 pm

Was this ever resolved? I switched from Kona to Decklink and mountain lion and am dropping frames like crazy. Turning off audio helps but is not an option when laying off to tape. There has to be a fix for this.

Return to posts index

Jesse Coane
on May 10, 2013 at 5:49:02 pm

No luck on my end. Still dealing with it. Have emailed with blackmagic about it, but they blame mountain lion. I mentioned if its mountain lion how come Aja doesn't have the same issues. They said they will continue to look into it but haven't heard anything since. Everytime they update the driver I cross my fingers

Director / Editor
@jessecoane

Return to posts index

tyler Granlund
on May 10, 2013 at 5:56:16 pm

That's discouraging. How do I layback with clients in my bay if Im dropping frames all the time?

Return to posts index

Aj Koch
on May 28, 2013 at 7:37:44 pm

Still no solution for this?

My rMPB was just upgraded to Mountain Lion during a service issue and now I can't even edit properly on FCP7 because of these dropped frames. Clearly it's a Black Magic Audio issue because playback is suddenly fine when switching to Built-In Output, which of course does me no good.

Running FCP7 on mid-2012 rMPB with Thunderbolt Black Magic Shuttle.

Return to posts index

tyler Granlund
on May 28, 2013 at 7:41:06 pm

Blackmagic support confirmed it is a known issue and they have no intention of fixing it blaming Apple (despite the BM site claiming to work with FCP and Mountain Lion).

I switched to Lion and it works flawlessly. That said it isn't simple to downgrade, I just installed a new startup disk and made a Lion system on it from scratch. Not a single dropped frame since.

Return to posts index

Aj Koch
on May 29, 2013 at 7:09:10 am

Hmmm unfortunately downgrading my OS isn't a feasible process considering Lion came installed on my system and I don't have the discs. Why did Apple upgrade me to Mountain Lion without asking?

Guess that T-Tap is looking mighty nice right now...

Return to posts index

Manuel Perez
on Jul 14, 2013 at 4:55:40 pm

This tutorial helped me downgrading
to a Install Lion copy I downloaded from my purchases on app store but that didn't run because I was on mountain lion.

Return to posts index

Thomas Berglund
on Sep 30, 2013 at 3:33:56 pm

Anyone still having issues with this? Has anyone tried the latest Blackmagic Desktop Video 9.7.8 that was released on September 27th? Does it fix the issue? I'm a bit worried about upgrading from 10.7 to 10.8 because of this problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]