FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for replacing low res, watermarked stock footage with purchased clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Shaw
Best workflow for replacing low res, watermarked stock footage with purchased clip
on Sep 11, 2012 at 10:26:35 am

Hi I know there have been similar posts but not quite from this angle.

I'm working on a 5 minute video which uses lots of stock footage from various new reports etc and the timeline is pretty hectic. Now I'm about to purchase the final footage and replace the existing clips. I find the method of replacing clips a little confusing compared to After Effects' simple "replace file" function. Is my workflow in FCP the best way? Essentially I transcode the final purchased HD footage and delete the original one in finder. I change the name to match the existing one and then update it in FCP by going to reconnect media. This all seems pretty backwards so any tips on this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Motion graphics - Animation - Video

http://www.shaw-media.co.uk

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
Re: Best workflow for replacing low res, watermarked stock footage with purchased clip
on Sep 11, 2012 at 4:17:53 pm

If you delete the original clips and replace them in the same location with the same exact name, you should not need to reconnect the media.
Final cut should see the clips are there just link they have always been.

If you have to re-link then they are in a different location or named a little bit differently.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Chris Shaw
Re: Best workflow for replacing low res, watermarked stock footage with purchased clip
on Sep 11, 2012 at 4:20:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve :)

You would have thought there would be easier ways to do this. Looks like an upgrade to Premiere is on the cards.

Have a great day

Chris

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on Sep 11, 2012 at 4:43:21 pm

I highly recommend that you DO NOT DELETE your clips. My experience with stock footage is that the low-rez versions have garbage timecode and the high-rez either have the timecode that was burned into the low rez version or a different timecode altogether. Also, the lengths of the full-rez versions could be different than the low-rez, throwing another monkey wrench into the system. My recommendation is that you duplicate your timeline, import your high-rez versions and and then either find the timecode in the high-rez version that matches the low-rez version burned in timecode, or eye match your shots. I know it's a PITA, but you'll be really angry if you discover that re-linking doesn't get you the shots exactly as you cut them.

Cheers,
Jamie

Return to posts index

Chris Shaw
on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:32:48 am

That is great advice, thanks Jamie. That explains why when I've used the original approach before things have been completely out of sync etc. Although it's a bit of a pain at least the method you've indicated will save a lot of heartache later on. I just thought doing that was the slow, amateur way of doing things but I'm relieved to hear that it's not :D

thanks again

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]