FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IO XT or Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d for FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kannan Raghavan
AJA IO XT or Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d for FCP 7?
on Sep 10, 2012 at 2:05:25 am

Hello everyone. I've been using IO HD and Matrox MX02 for a while now with my 3 yr old MBP. Just bought the rMBP. Am looking at a Thunderbolt I/O for this system. Most of my work is on-site in OB vans editing sports highlights (especially for golf). Most of the footage is 1080i25 and I use ProRes 422 codec.
Between these two, I know that AJA IO XT has a good Up/Down/Cross converter (pretty important for my workflow) and is a solid performer. I've never used BM products before, but they're getting popular now and much cheaper than comparable AJA products. The biggest advantage of the BM Ultrastudio 3D over the XT is that it has analog and AES/EBU connections (as most OBs here still give me analog/AES/EBU audio). If I go with XT, I'll have to buy an additional mini converter to embed analog or AES/EBU audio to SDI as XT is SDI input only. Is the AJA worth the extra money or is the Ultrastudio 3D good enough?
Thanks in advance.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: AJA IO XT or Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d for FCP 7?
on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:33:53 pm

If you have the MXO2 (original) you just need to purchase the Thunderbolt adapter.
Your other option is to use the IO HD and get the Thunderbolt to FW adapter.

I also have done sports highlights from an OB truck using both the IO HD (via FW800) and my MXO2 (via Express34) with my 2011 17" MBP.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
Re: AJA IO XT or Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d for FCP 7?
on Sep 10, 2012 at 11:32:46 pm

Thanks Steve. I've sold the IO HD as the MX02LE is easier to hand carry when flying.The TB adapter for my MX02/LE is an option I considered. I think I'll stick to it for now. I always felt that AJA products had better up/down/cross conversion. You using TB storage by any chance?

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]