FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need a Video/Aduio I/O?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Martino
Do I need a Video/Aduio I/O?
on Sep 9, 2012 at 8:24:12 pm

I am new to getting a more "professional" system up and running. Given the state of Mac Pro's right now we decided to out fit our studio with a done up 27" iMac for now until things become a little more clear with where the Pro is headed.

My question comes to audio/video I/O's. Here is our workflow.

FIlm on both Sony FS100 and Canon 60D.
Log and Transfer to Final cut in ProRes 422
Edit!

We monitor our audio through Dynaudio monitors and so we will need a unit to get audio into the iMac.
I have seen some I/O's that handle both audio and video and on the video end they do a job of converting footage. With my equipment, would it help to have a special I/O box? Or does it make more sense to simply go with an audio box that can connect USB to my iMac where I can plug my monitors in?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Do I need a Video/Aduio I/O?
on Sep 9, 2012 at 11:39:48 pm

You would want an I/O device to Input footage into your system. This includes for example, transcoding DSLR footage to ProRes. Also up, down and cross converting footage. The Output displays what is in your timeline. It is highly recommended. There are also a couple of output only devices via Thunderbolt. AJA's T-Tap is now shipping and Black Magic Design's UltraStudio Mini Monitor will ship later this year.

I wish this technology was around 10 years ago!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Joe Martino
on Sep 10, 2012 at 12:27:52 am

Thanks for the info!
Will these devices let me do what I need to do with sounds as well? Also does it speed up Log & Transfer times by any chance?

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:39:36 am

Hi Joe. 'Log and Transfer' means importing (and transcoding in some cases) files from your camera storage like P2 cards or CF cards in DSLRs. The video I/O devices wouldn't help you in importing. But, with these I/Os, you can ingest audio and video from sources like decks, routers, cameras etc. via HD/SD-SDI or analog connections depending on the I/O to your edit system. Some of them have great hardware up/down/cross conversion options (on input or output) too. I'd recommend either a AJA IO XT/express or Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3D. These are I/O devices. If monitoring is your only concern, the AJA T-tap would do.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 10, 2012 at 2:02:05 am

I/O devices feed video to proper monitors and audio to mixers or amps & self powered speakers. By having one source of timed video & audio you will avoid lip sync issues.

Video to the montior via an I/O and audio via a USB device will probably mean frame sync is out and depending on the device it may be impossible to get correct timing.

Return to posts index

Joe Martino
on Sep 10, 2012 at 2:30:25 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject but I feel I am have a few disconnects here.

I look at the AJA T-Tap for example and I see HDMI and SDI connections, but my monitors go from XLR to 1/4" connection it seems there is another device needed to monitor whats coming from my mac?

Also, since I am using a Sony FS100 which shoots on SD, I could go HDMI into a device like the Blackmagic Ultrastudio, but from there can I get my footage onto my iMac?

I guess I am confused because I have only ever used the work flow of taking out my SD card and throwing it into our reader and then log and transferring. So it's hard for me to see how the workflow would change, what I would need and what my benefits would be.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:51:53 am

Video I/O devices are needed if you want to properly monitor video and audio signals. Whilst your computer offers some connectivity it does not have everything you need to do this.
The T Tap offers a very simple Thunderbolt to HDMI and SDI output which both carry embedded audio signals.
Professional video monitors will accept the SDI output or you could use the HDMI output on say a Plasma monitor. So that would give you video monitoring options.
To get the audio you would need an additional box like this
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/miniconverters/

You would need the SDI to analogue version. That would give you balanced audio monitoring sync with the video.

Obviously there are other options where everything is in one box like the Aja IO XT or the IO Express.

In terms of input since you use file based cameras the I/O does not play a role and is not required. You are not inputting a video signal as such so it would not change your workflow in terms of getting stuff in.

However if you had a requirement to input from a deck or other video source then you would need and I/O

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:26:41 pm

[Joe Martino] "I guess I am confused because I have only ever used the work flow of taking out my SD card and throwing it into our reader and then log and transferring."

Do not learn bad habits in workflow. Never log and transfer from your SD card unless you are in a rush situation. Offload the card to multiple hard drives then log and transfer from one of the hard drives.
Here is the proper workflow thanks to Shane Ross:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]