FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with audio. Sensitivty on G3 wireless was "adjusted" by talent, now I have high end distortion.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric McCarthy
Issue with audio. Sensitivty on G3 wireless was "adjusted" by talent, now I have high end distortion.
on Sep 7, 2012 at 10:20:06 pm

So I have looked through the forums for suggestions, and I have printed out some good articles from "The Ken Stone Index" to read over the weekend, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is the issue: During a recent shoot, the talent fiddled with the transmitter for our Sennheiser G3 wireless lav. Somehow the "sensitivity" got turned up higher than usual. At the time, I was unaware of the issue, and was baffled as to why the audio sounded so bad in my headphones. I turned down the audio levels on the camera since everything he said was peaking the meters.

Back in the edit bay I realize that I have really low, and slightly "over-blown" audio. It is not terrible, but it is noticeable. It only really distorts in the peaks.

I am shooting on an HVX200A, so I have two tracks from the Sennheiser, and two from the on camera mic. Usually I don't use the on camera tracks (3+4) since they are real "reverb-y" but, I would be open to suggestion as to how I could possibly use these instead.

I have attached three .mov files. Tracks 1+2 from the lav mic, Tracks 3+4 from the camera mic, and all four tracks together.

These are the RAW tracks, as they were recorded. I have played around with them using various filters, EQ, etc. but so far nothing seems to help much. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Sample Audio Tracks 1+2

Sample Audio Tracks 3+4

Sample Audio All Four Tracks

[i]HVX200A, HPX170, Canon 7d - Speedy Mac Pro - Final Cut, Motion, AE6, and Maya. Studio, Lights, Mics, and the will to use it all!
So whatcha' want?[/i]

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Issue with audio. Sensitivty on G3 wireless was "adjusted" by talent, now I have high end distortion.
on Sep 8, 2012 at 12:26:25 am

iZotope RX2 has a declipper module which is very good at fixing clipping distortion. For the future the clipping is on the input levels to the camera so pulling record levels down doesn't help.

The best way to get a clean signal path is to set the transmit first, then the output level on the receiver before the camera. This will give best signal to noise from a transmitter without overloading the camera input. If a client plays with levels then don't forget to pass on the cost of the iZotope software.

The rest of the RX2 denoiser is also fab for lots of audio issues.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/RX/

You probably just need the basic, not advanced version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]