FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR-Audio Sync Drift on only some sequences despite identical settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katie Gillum
DSLR-Audio Sync Drift on only some sequences despite identical settings
on Sep 7, 2012 at 9:31:28 pm

I shot a pile of interviews on a T3i and recorded 2nd unit audio with a Zoom H4 (not H4n, so there's possibly a question here, but i'll hold that for later)
Editing in FCP7.
Using Pluraleyes to sync and was having serious drift on nearly all my sequences.

So I followed the amazingly helpful instructions for dealing with some mismatched sequence settings
http://brucesharpe.blogspot.com/2010/02/dslr-sync-drift-in-final-cut-pro.ht...
Opened a new project, re-imported, re-synced, and for a lot of the sequences, everything was in sync!

(Easy Set up reads as follows... Sequence preset: Apple ProRes 422 1920x1080 30p; Capture Preset: HDV-Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Device Control Preset: HDV Firewire)

I realized that 1/2 of them I still had sync issues... checked the audio and found that for the remaining problem files the Zoom H4 had been switched to recording in 44.1khz.

Used soundtrack pro to convert to 48khz 24 bits. the native audio from the t3i is 16bit integer.

So at this point I am beautifully synced on all but a handful of sequences, and am trying to sort it out on these last humanityforsaken few (which, as always, are some of the most crucial)

I am wondering the following:
1. does anyone have any other trouble shooting ideas or things to check to sort this mess out?
2. If the Zoom worked perfectly well for almost all of the interviews it doesn't stand to reason that it would be the internal Zoom h4 clock messing up for 3 of these interviews when one other interview from the same day and between the other bad interviews looks great and syncs perfectly does it?
3. Could the slowing of the system during the conversion of some of the audio have caused dropped frames that could be doing this?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]