FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP6, 24P, ProRes conversion question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maithili Pradhan
FCP6, 24P, ProRes conversion question
on Sep 6, 2012 at 10:37:50 pm

Hello,

I am about to color correct a documentary film that I shot in Panasonic AG DVX 100B over the last few years. I shot in 24P, then reverse telecined in Cinema Tools.

I've edited the film in DV NTSC, but would like to go to ProRes for the color correction stage to optimize my options within my rather low (non-existent, by Creative Cow standards) budget.

I will be color correcting in FCP6. This is my first time with color correction.

Given this scenario, how would the experienced (but still-remember-the-no-budget days) folks recommend I go about the conversion process?

1. Do I simply change the sequence codec to ProRes and work within that sequence?

2. Do I change sequence codec to ProRes, then export as Quicktime and then work with the new clips?

I have researched the question to the best of my current knowledge and haven't found the answer. I apologize in advance if I have missed a thread already here.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Maithili

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP6, 24P, ProRes conversion question
on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:12:02 am

Did you transcode your footage to DV or just use a DV sequence with DVCPro100HD clips?

Return to posts index

Maithili Pradhan
on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:46:40 am

Hello Michael,

My capture preset was DV NTSC 48 khz.

My sequence preset is DV NTSC 48 kHz- 23.98

My compressor is DV/DVCPRO-NTSC.

Is this what you asked me?
(I apologize if I'm asking really basic questions. While I love the story aspect of editing, codecs and the tech part of it makes my head spin... )

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Maithili

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 7, 2012 at 2:14:01 am

My mistake. I thought you had shot HD. So you just need to grade your final sequence in a ProRes sequence. Create a new sequence in ProRes and then copy paste your whole sequence into the new ProRes one. Make sure you match frame rate.

Return to posts index

Maithili Pradhan
on Sep 7, 2012 at 7:24:06 pm

Thank you, Michael.

Just to confirm that I have understood this correctly:

In order to make use of the better color space of ProRes (while color grading in fcp6) I do not actually have to make new ProRes media clips- I can just create a new ProRes sequence, copy paste my whole sequence into it, and color grade in that - and I will have the advantage of ProRes' better color space. Is that right?

Thank you very much for your time!
Maithili

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2012 at 12:49:58 am

Yes Maithili. The grades will render as ProRes in a ProRes sequence giving you better looking titles and better color space plus 10 bit grey scales to reduce banding.

Return to posts index

Maithili Pradhan
on Sep 10, 2012 at 5:45:13 am

Thanks, Michael. I really appreciate your taking the time to clarify this for me!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]