FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change seq settings in project in progress

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
Change seq settings in project in progress
on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:19:31 am

I inherited a project with the wrong sequence settings. The original files are transcoded (from Canon 7D H264) to 1920 x 1080, 23.98 Pro Res 422. I'd like to stay in that realm & output that way as well. However the seq sets are 720 x 480, NTSC DV 3:2 at 29.97. (I have no idea why. The original editor is unavailable.)

If I change the settings while the project is open it gets all wonky in the canvas, at least 50% reduction in ratio (as expected). I get the same result when I copy the timeline edits and paste them into a new sequence (with the proper settings that match the file sizes).

I REALLY don't want to recut 30 mins, shot by shot. Suggestions?

FCP 7
6 gigs RAM
Mac quad core
OSX 10.6.8
No interest in FCP X

Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Change seq settings in project in progress
on Sep 6, 2012 at 7:56:11 am

Once you have set up a sequence that you know matches your source material, cut and paste the old incorrect sequence into the new one. (Sounds like you got this far)
Select all of the cips in the new sequence that are incorrectly sized. Right click and select remove attributes.
Remove the basic motion (and anything else not required) Your source clips should then all happily match your sequence.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 6, 2012 at 8:05:22 am

And then you'll have to manually fix all the gaps that appear between the clips. Something that happens when you copy from one time base into another...in this case 29.97 to 23.98.

Yeah, it's a big mess and will take some effort to clean up.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 6, 2012 at 10:49:41 am

[Neil Patience] "Select all of the cips in the new sequence that are incorrectly sized. Right click and select remove attributes.
Remove the basic motion (and anything else not required) Your source clips should then all happily match your "

That works for all attributes, but unfortunately don't fix the Time-base difference.
IN/OUT points will remain because are based on the TC, but clips duration will change when played at a different speed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Sep 6, 2012 at 1:30:45 pm

Yes I had not noticed the frame rate difference in the question.. I work in PAL land, it's so much easier. There seem to be endless frame rate issues that you NTSC guys have to deal with all the time.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Sep 6, 2012 at 1:50:20 pm

Be careful removing the Basic attribute, because if there were any moves or re-positioning on the clips they will be lost too.

You'll most likely have to fix the moves anyway, but at least you know they were there.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Sep 6, 2012 at 4:44:46 pm

Phewwww! Pasting the clips into a new sequence (with correct settings), and right clicking to remove basic motion attributes did the trick. There is still some clean up (black frames between edits) but that beats the alternative of re-editing 300 shots by hand!

Video editing is cool... but sometimes, during a crisis I just pine for the prehistoric days when all I had to deal with was the physical work print.

Thanks, gang!

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]