FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color correcting dozens of clips from different sources

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Belinkie
Color correcting dozens of clips from different sources
on Sep 4, 2012 at 11:49:58 pm

Guys -

I'm making a "warm and fuzzy" inspirational montage, and every clip will be from a different source (film, video, pixelated YouTube rips, etc). I want to make all this footage look semi-consistent. I've never used Magic Bullet Looks or any color programs like that, but I know they are great for applying custom curves and vignettes. What I'm not sure about is, will the software automatically treat every clip differently to achieve the look I want? Basically, I want it to take a cool, dark clip and a warm, light clip and have the output look basically the same, without me manually adjusting all the sliders.

I'm sure for optimal results, I'll need to adjust by hand. But the volume of footage is pretty huge, and I'd love to have a tool that will automatically get me in the ballpark without me staring at scopes.

Thanks guys.

- Matt

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Color correcting dozens of clips from different sources
on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:49:00 am

Yes, one of those will treat all the clips more or less the same. This is actually one situation where fcp-x has an advantage over classic fcp7 for simple universal color correction.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:12:27 am

Nothing automatically makes two different clips look similar without input from the user.

All color correction tools allow you to save presets and looks. So you can color correct one of the clips and then apply that preset / look to all of the similar clips in your timeline. Repeat for each type of clip.

I've done this a lot in Apple Color and Davinci Resolve. Can grade entire sections of a show in just minutes this way.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:54:34 am

As mark and walter say.
Start by converting your stuff to Prores.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]