FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems outputting hour long show

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan loshbaugh
Problems outputting hour long show
on Sep 4, 2012 at 3:52:38 pm

Hey all;
Alan Loshbaugh with KOMU-TV, Columbia MO here. First post, I did look at faq first.
We work on Final Cut Studio Pro 7.03. Our media is on a facilis raid server. OS 10.5.8. Aja kona LHe video card
I do an hour long show every week, The Mizzou Football Replay show. Previously, I was doing this on Avid Newscutter, and never had th issue I'm having now.
I'm trying to play the finished hour long sequence out to a blue ray recorder, so master control can then use the blue ray as playback tomorrow as playback for a close caption feed.
The sequence will not play back in it's entirety without locking up and failing to play out. My cursor turns into a pinwheel, video chatters, then freezes, and I'm done.
This seems to happen at random points in time, not at the same place every time. Sometimes 10 minutes in, sometimes 30 minutes in.
My media was captured live during the game, as 29.97 apple prorez422; my sequence is 29.97 apple prores422HQ; everything is rendered.
I've tried making it a subclip; to act as a video mixdown (one layer) and that played no better; in either the canvas or the source window
At the suggestion of someone at apple forums, I tried laying slug under the duration of the whole sequence (in audio layers). This didn't work either
I'm at a loss as to how to get this to play out. I'm currently trying to export the sequence, uncompressed 8 bit 422, to reimport into a "simpler" sequence, one real layer, all metadata would be in one chunk as it were, but, this is taking 1/2 per quarter, adding two ours plus edit plus playback to a job I'm already about out of time on...

What can I do to get this thing to play straight thru for an hour?

thanks;
alan

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: Problems outputting hour long show
on Sep 4, 2012 at 5:23:15 pm

do you have any other programs open besides Final Cut during your playback.?

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 4, 2012 at 5:53:44 pm

No sir, I don't.
I've saved my project to the desktop, and disconnected from the network, suspecting that it might be the problem.

I just finished breaking the show into quarters, and exporting uncompressed files to a terrabite drive on the final cut computer.
This will isolate me and my media from the network and the facilis media storage.
I'll now start a new sequence, edit those four uncompressed files into, and try that sequence.
That should leave the computer thinking as little as possible

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 4, 2012 at 6:39:15 pm

Exporting the four quarters of the game uncompressed netted me 4 ~160GB files; on the terrabite drive on my workstation.
I edited those into a new sequence; that played back much worse than my previous work......

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2012 at 7:10:18 pm

UNCOMPRESSED?!? Does your drive have the throughput needed to play that? The speed? Uncompressed requires at least 300MB/s of drive speed. That's a four drive RAID 0 playing via eSATA at least. Fibre or SAS might be required for this.

Uncompressed takes a LOT of drive speed. This is why ProRes was invented. And why DNxHD on the Avid side was. To give you full quality files with a fraction of the drive speed (and space) requirements.

That's your issues. Uncompressed. You should be working in ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 4, 2012 at 7:48:20 pm

I understand, and I started in prorez422.
Right now, that's where I'm back to.
I have the hour long game broken into 4 quarters, and am having issues even getting those to playback in prorez422.

I got thru first quarter on the second attempt; I'm not on thrid try for 2nd quarter.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:03:41 pm

OK... so you have ProRes files, on local drives. What kind of local drives? Connected how? What are the speeds?

I tell you, I play back ProRes 422 from a single internal SATA (separate from the OS drive) out to tape and to a DVD recorder and have no dropped frame or stutter issues.

Might be time to uninstall the capture card drivers, and reinstall them. Or get the latest ones and install those. Try that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:06:15 pm

My media is on a facilis multi terrabite raid server.
My metadata is a different server, connected my ethernet

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:10:49 pm

Separate media and metadata? I'm sorry, what does that mean? Media and project file, I get. Metadata is part of the project, part of the media. Unless you are also running Final Cut Server...but then that's a separate app altogether.

That Facillis should be fast enough if this is ProRes.

Again...I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the AJA Kona LHe. Or getting the latest driver that is supported by your OS.

Did this work before, then suddenly not work? You can also call AJA tech support and they can help. They are GREAT with support.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:34:55 pm

Alan,

In your first post you mentioned you were using PRo res HQ. THat's a huge file. Try changing your
sequence setting to plain old prores (NOT hq). That will yield a much more manageble file.

Try that.

mark

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:56:57 pm

So:
I could make a new non-hq sequence,
put my old sequence in the player
edit it in
re-render
and try to play out?

I'll try that.......

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 4, 2012 at 9:47:03 pm

this did not work.
audio was off by 10 minutes or more.

right now, i'm exporting xdcam mxf files to the desktop, to ftp to a blue ray.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:54:41 am

At this point I think your best bet is to do a simple author to BD using Toast or the "share" function off the timeline. Assuming you had access to a burner for the BluRay. I must confess your story distresses me because i was aiming to be able to play off the timeline into a stand-alone BluRay recorder as you describe, but all I have right now is an external BD burner, so any BD I make has to be "authored" first.

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:59:43 am

OK:
I don't understand your post Mark;)

But: my facilis media storage is showing all kinds of system errors.
Last time it did this, it was because one of it's 26 drives was failing, and I think this is my issue now.

Not sure how I can fix that before an 8am satellite window though.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 5, 2012 at 4:47:15 pm

Alan,

E-mail me the system event log from the Facilis.

I want to make sure there isn't anything on that end causing the problem.

matt@facilis.com (e-mail me if you need instructions).

Return to posts index

alan loshbaugh
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:54:03 pm

I can't do that, but, I can put you in touch with the guy that can.
I think your staff have been remoting in to try and diagnose/fix things.

thanks for asking; that reflects a high level of service from you guys!

alan

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Sep 6, 2012 at 5:49:34 pm

Thanks Alan.

We do our best. Glad we got it sorted out for you. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything else.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]