FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Manage Clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Werner Kruse
Media Manage Clips
on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:05:08 am

Hello All,

I have a project full of synced native Canon 5D clips with external sound. All organized by the date we shot at. The entire docie is spread over 5x 1tb portable drives in the native 5D file format and organized by shoot date.

I want to organize all bins and pick select takes and create In and Outs for all the selected clips.

Then I want to media manage the project and Recompress to ProRes 422. Possibly by day as it might be the easiest.

I know I can use media manager to transcode clips to ProRes, etc
When you media manage, FCP put all new recompressed clips in a new folder on your hardrive.
I will recompress all media to a RAID drive.

My question is....I want to keep the folder structure as it is on my portable hardrives the same when I move them to the RAID.

eg

Portable drive folders:

Folder: 01/09/12
clip01
clip02

Folder: 02/09/12
clip03
clip04

Then I want the clips to be in the same folder structure when I recompress them to the Raid drive but obviously with only the selected parts of the media. That way I can easily trace back to the portable drives if I need clips or let the producer find clips. Producer has a duplicate of the exact same 5x 1tb drives of native 5D media.

Can I place In and Outs in the browser and select the clips I want and marked and only Recompress the selected clips with I&O to the new RAID drive?
Is there a way of keeping my folder structures instead of letting FCP move all clips into 1 folder?

I think the question might be confusing but it all makes sense in my head...haha

Hope someone understands and has some ideas.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media Manage Clips
on Sep 4, 2012 at 2:37:18 pm

Step 1: Convert the footage to ProRes. This is the first thing you do before you sync audio, before you organize it in FCP. FCP doesn't work with H.264 native, it will have random issues. Plus, the H.264 files won't have reel numbers, and they need Reel numbers in order for the Media Manager to work properly. When you LOG AND TRANSFER the footage from the FULL card backups (I hope you kept the full card structure) FCP will add reel numbers.

Step 2: After you convert the footage, THEN you organize it. If you want to keep it similar to what you have, make a project that will only serve to transfer the footage...then Log and transfer the footage by date...organize the footage the way you want it (by date, card)...then bring that footage into a new project. But you must do Step 1 first.

[Werner Kruse] "Is there a way of keeping my folder structures instead of letting FCP move all clips into 1 folder?"

Nope. You need to bring in the footage then organize it. I guess you can use external, third party converters, like Magic Bullet Grinder or 5DtoRGB or MPEG STREAMCLIP...they might keep them in the same folder. But always, step 1 is to convert the footage, THEN sync it. Working with H.264 inside FCP is a world of hurt.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Werner Kruse
Re: Media Manage Clips
on Sep 4, 2012 at 5:40:15 pm

Thank you Shane

All makes sense.

Due to a few factors and pressure from producer to get clips synced and being in the bush for 2 months, all the media was unfortunately already synced in native format in FCP. Will hopefully not have many issues when transcoding the clips to ProRes.

No editing has been done yet. Only syncing.

I think what I have in my head is not possible in any app really as I do not want to convert all footage to ProRes. Space is very limited which is another reason we kept footage native during the production.

Thanks again for your reply!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]