FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't convert H.264 .mp4 file that came from Adobe Premier, to an Apple ProRes 422 file. Need assistance.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Velez
Can't convert H.264 .mp4 file that came from Adobe Premier, to an Apple ProRes 422 file. Need assistance.
on Sep 3, 2012 at 12:47:54 am

Hi. I currently am stuck and know of no other solution to my problem at the moment. I have a .mp4 file that was rendered out of Adobe Premier with the H.264 Compression and I need to convert it to a ProRes 422 file so I can bring it into Final Cut Pro and edit it. I already know Final Cut Pro will not take an H.264 file because it is not an editing format. Everytime I bring it into Final Cut I get a "General Error" message. So I tried using MPEG Streamclip & Compressor to convert the file to ProRes 422 and neither pieces of software would convert the file. When I tried to drag the .mp4 file that came from Adobe Premier into compressor, Compressor just freezes up everytime and won't take it. Although when I drag another .mp4 file into compressor that was rendered out of Final Cut Pro, compressor takes the file without a problem every time. When I try converting with MPEG Streamclip, it just says its "Error: Can't Prepare The Movie."

I have no idea how else I am suppose to be able to convert this .mp4 file that was rendered out of Adobe Premier. Does anyone know how I can get it converted to ProRes 422? By the way, I'm currently using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 with all current updates, and running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 My MPEG Streamclip is the lastest version available 1.9.2 and my Compressor is version 3.5.3

Anyones help is greatly appreciated. Please help. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Can't convert H.264 .mp4 file that came from Adobe Premier, to an Apple ProRes 422 file. Need assistance.
on Sep 3, 2012 at 2:27:48 am

The only way this file can be seen by FCP is to export from Premiere using Adobe Media Encoder and create a ProRes file.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Can't convert H.264 .mp4 file that came from Adobe Premier, to an Apple ProRes 422 file. Need assistance.
on Sep 3, 2012 at 3:01:37 am

Can you open the files with VLC?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 3, 2012 at 1:23:41 pm

As Steve said, can you get access back to the CS suite and use AME to convert?

How large a file is it BTW?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Nels McLaughlin
on Apr 23, 2013 at 2:27:03 pm

I had the same exact issue as the OP, and I followed Steve Eisen's advice (running the clips through AME) and it worked perfectly. Problem solved!

Return to posts index

Ravian de Vries
on May 29, 2013 at 11:58:35 am

Hi,

I am also having the same problem. I don't have the Adobe Media Encoder, so I can't follow that advice.
Exporting the file with Quicktime doesn't work either. It will give a message telling me that something is wrong with te time.

Any other sollutions?

Return to posts index

Conor (コナー) Keenan (キーナン)
on Oct 29, 2015 at 10:02:12 am

HI I know this is an old thread, but I've found one work around- -if you have motion and the files are playable in quicktime player (X) then you can create a motion project of the same size, duration, frame rate etc., and export it via motion

be sure frame blending is NOT checked, and export directly from motion (don't send to compressor since it might hang)

this is a re-encode, as opposed to a transcode, so it's not ideal, but it's pretty high quality and certainly beats simply exporting from quicktime player as a compressed mp4.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]