FORUMS: list search recent posts

rippling a timeline forward

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
rippling a timeline forward
on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:58:51 pm

I need to do a basic command that I just realized I don't know how to do.

I basically need to make a clip longer and push all the clips (on all the tracks) down the timeline as I do so.

I had previously been lassoing all the following clips, dragging them to the right a bit - extending my clip to where I want, creating a slug, deleting the slug.... but the timeline is now so long, and I have so many small clips, it's getting impractical do do that.

I just looked at a tutorial and tried to use the rr (ripple) tool but am getting clip collisions on other tracks.

What are ways to do what I'm trying to do??

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: rippling a timeline forward
on Sep 1, 2012 at 9:13:06 pm

Press TTTT (the letter T, four times) to change to the "select all to the right" tool (or whatever it's called). Click to the right of the clip that you need to extend, slide everything down, extend the clip as needed.

Check out the other variations of the select tool as well, T, TT and TTT. If you were getting clip colisions in attempt to move clips around, you may have inadvertently moved stuff out of sync somewhere down the timeline. If you didn't undo after each failed attempt, you better check that everything is still exactally where you want it to be.

It's either that or switch to the magnetic timeline :p

Oh, and you can ripple delete a gap without filling it with a slug first.

If you accidentally knocked tons of clips down the timeline out of sync, I reccomend restoring to a previous save. First, do a "Save As", to backup your current edit, just in case. Add "oops ripple slip" or something to identify this version of your edit as the one that is messed up. Close the oops project and open the original. Select File> Restore project. Choose a backup project file that hasn't been messed up yet. Select Yes to the "this project has been modified" warning.

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Sep 1, 2012 at 10:06:36 pm

Thanks David for all the advice. I did appear to throw some stuff out of sync. Thanks for the heads up!

The TTTT is my new favorite tool and I'm editing along happily again :)

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09:43 pm

Glad to have helped!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 3, 2012 at 2:28:26 am

yeah, using the track tool to move all fwd, then extend your clip, then moving all back...
it's how i started using FCP, way back, but if you want to RIPPLE,
then why not RIPPLE?
there is a RIPPLE TOOL as well. very simple to use.
summon it with RR (for ripple)
summon the ROLL tool with just R.
(all told are of course in the tool bar)

grab the edge of the edit you want to ripple, and just drag it.
select it, and enter a number bavlue.
double click on it, opening the TRIM WINDOW. there you can use JKL to find just the right out-point

lots of ways to do things in FCP.

oh, moving all fwd with the track tool does NOT also move any timeline markers you may have.
ripple tool, and insert edit / insert paste does.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved