FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7: Have developed a flickering artifact in group of unrelated photos in middle of project & output question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Gm
FCP 7: Have developed a flickering artifact in group of unrelated photos in middle of project & output question
on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:44:48 pm

I am a casual home user, have made a dozen or so videos, all with mixed media inputs. This problem has arisen after many attempts to write out my 23 minute timeline as QT mov or QT conversion, then write using iDVD for viewing on TV. The video is of a wedding and I have imported from many sources in many formats, photos and video. My problem is I've finally gotten output/DVD in format that works to show images/vid in good proportion on TV but a group of @20 images have developed a flicker-type artifact on TV. They are a variety of formats and sizes, .tif, .jpg, 3396x2255, 5760x3840, 2129x1414, etc. I have many groups of mixed pictures and it is only these 20, which reside in the middle of probably 50 mixed format & size photos, that have developed the flicker. Again, in my other attempts to write to QT then to iDVD, trying several settings, I didn't have the flicker in those photos. THey don't have a flicker on my computer either. I've tried removing them from timeline and reinserting, tried a new blank timeline and copied the project to a different timeline, tried copying to a new project, moving the affected photos to a different track, etc. I'd be done after 6 weeks of working on it (including having my HD crash on my iMac and being replaced) if I can get rid of that flicker in those limited images. I've tried changing Movie settings when writing to QT (current, Apple ProRes, DV/DVCPRO, etc), reburning in iDVD, writing out a generic QT.mov and trying QT conversion. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My timeline frame size=720x480, 29.97 fps; dv/dvcpro-ntsc.
Current output setting:
Dv/DVCPRO - NTSC; Quality: Best;Scan Mode: Interlaced; Aspect Ratio: 4:3, Dimension 720x480 (640x480); Compressor Native. Thanks! Kate

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 7: Have developed a flickering artifact in group of unrelated photos in middle of project & output question
on Aug 31, 2012 at 1:14:56 pm

[Kate Gm] "3396x2255, 5760x3840, "
Kate,
Those sizes are off FC specs. try to reduce the stills as much as you can in photoshop.
Makes sure as well that all your stills have Field order set to NONE (Browser).

[Kate Gm] "Current output setting:Dv/DVCPRO - NTSC; "
Change the sequence codec to Prores and set "Render in High precision" and "Render Motion Effects: Best".
In the Sequence Settings.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Kate Gm
Re: FCP 7: Have developed a flickering artifact in group of unrelated photos in middle of project & output question
on Sep 3, 2012 at 8:49:40 pm

Thank you for responding. I've never run into the problems I've run into with this project even when using multiple sources for images & video. I am thinking of noting my timeline composition & completely restarting, even though it'll be a huge undertaking.

>sizes are off FC specs<
If I take the photos into PS, what, generally, would be recommended SAVE AS parameters to prepare them to use in FCP? (i.e. resolution 72?, jpeg vs. tiff?, pixel max dimensions?) The photos are of varying sizes - not standard horz. & vert. - due to cropping, etc. (Some of the FCP7 outputs to QT have made the people in the photos out-of-proportion wide or squashed even though they look great on computer.))

>change sequence to prores..render in high precision..<
Do you choose Prores 422, or prores 422 (HD), etc? In FCP 7, the only high resolution choice had to do with something about YUV, choosing apply to 8-bit, 10-bit or applying to all.

New question please: Then, when I export using QT conversion, what would be the best choice? (h.264, dv/dvcpro ntsc, etc?) Quality? Size (ntsc 4:3?, etc). Compression: Native? I've tried different combinations and the last few times, FCP7 just did a "quit unexpectedly". I use iDVD to burn to DVD.

Lastly, does it make a difference to make separate timelines one for all my photos, then of each kind of video input, render them as you suggest above, and then combine into one time line which still will get rendered as each timeline had been done prior to combining? I read that as an idea.

Thanks again - I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:56:55 pm

[Kate Gm] "If I take the photos into PS, what, generally, would be recommended SAVE AS parameters to prepare them to use in FCP? (i.e. resolution 72?,"
Yes 72dpi . (better said pixels per inch) that's the standard computer display resolution.
PNG, TGA or TIFF (all uncompressed RGB) better than JPG.

[Kate Gm] "pixel max dimensions?"
As I said the smaller possible but that will allows you to reframe or animate if you intend to do so.

[Kate Gm] "(Some of the FCP7 outputs to QT have made the people in the photos out-of-proportion wide or squashed even though they look great on computer.))"
that's normal if in FC you are working with a format that uses pixels that are not Squared (PAL, NTSC,.).
In Photoshop you can "Correct for aspect ratio", so the pictures will look OK.

[Kate Gm] ">change sequence to prores..render in high precision..<
Do you choose Prores 422, or prores 422 (HD), etc? In FCP 7, the only high resolution choice had to do with something about YUV, choosing apply to 8-bit, 10-bit or applying to all. "

Prores or Prores HQ won't change much.
Set "Render ALL YUV..". That will convert your 8bRGB stills to 10b YUV and will allows better rendering (bit slower, but worth).

[Kate Gm] "Then, when I export using QT conversion,"
Forget about QT Conversion. Export QT Movie with "Current settings', then import the movie to iDVD.

[Kate Gm] "Lastly, does it make a difference to make separate timelines one for all my photos, then of each kind of video input, render them as you suggest above, and then combine into one time line which still will get rendered as each timeline had been done prior to combining? I read that as an idea."
If you wan't to make only one movie from all the sequences, yes.
As long as all of them have the same setting, won't be necessary to render again.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]