COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dane Silzle
Can I load FCPX on the same partition as FCP6
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:20:35 pm

I tried searching this and haven't found the direct answer,
please give me an answer or direct me to to a thread with the specific
directions.

I have a MacPro 8 core running Snow Leopard and FCS2 (FCP6) I need to load FCPX on this system
can I be done.

Thanks
Dane

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I load FCPX on the same partition as FCP6
on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:47:21 pm

Check out David Roth Weiss' tutorial on getting ready for FCPX, which is here on the COW. You'll find helpful techniques. It was written a month or so prior to the introduction of X.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:53:54 am

I would strongly recommend either a second boot drive or a partition. To have a long term stable FCP setup, I wouldn't go beyond SL.

FCPX however will be developed along with Lion and ML so you will do best if you have the best OS for each application. There are also issues of using different versions of Motion and Compressor. Finally if you use an I/O card like Kona or Decklink, there are different drivers for the different versions of FCP so it will be easier to have the systems, drivers and OSs totally isolated.

Return to posts index

Dane Silzle
on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:31:55 am

Awesome, Thank you Michael,

So how would I go about it ? use Bootcamp and just load up snow leopard and FCPX
on the other patrician ?
Is there a step by step for this procedure ?

Regards, Dane

MacPro 8 core
18 Gigs RAM
Snow Leopard
System HD 319Gig total and 216Gig available
FCS 2
FCX
Matrox MXO Mini

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:38:15 am

Dave suggestion to follow the comprehensive tutorial that David Ross Weiss did is the best advice. Just search the tutorials for David.

Return to posts index

Francois Driessen
on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:50:53 pm

Hi, D

WIth a clean Lion install, is there an actual tested reason for keeping FCPX and FCP7 separate on partitions? He's mostly addressing OS upgrade install problems (that is an absolute given). And I guess separate installs are the safest way to go. - But is there actual conflicting elements / codecs that gets introduced by installing FCPX? It's a totally separate app, like having After Effects or iMovie on the same system drive is it not? As far as I know there's no shared application support between FCPX / FCP7 right? - Or am I missing something (quite possible :-)

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.
http://firetrigger.com

Return to posts index

Dane Silzle
on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:09:13 am

There there might be issues with Red Giant Plugins (different one for each version,
There maybe others also I am still in Snow Leopard with FCS2 not 3 and would like to stay there
for a while (now that I have QT 7 back and not 10.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]