FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Preview playback device changes Render type

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Ransom
FCP7 Preview playback device changes Render type
on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:38:16 pm

Hi

I support the editors in my company and have come across something very odd in FCP 7

we have 1 editor who has been having problem with Render times for his timelines taking extremely long

i had a look deleted his preference to make sure it wasn't a setting issue without luck until i by chance found that when i change the preview playback device (which is a black magic card HDMI out) it changes what render is required

just wondering how the playback device makes a difference to the rendering of the timeline

Regards

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP7 Preview playback device changes Render type
on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:02:37 pm

A video card can speed or can slow rendering.
I used to have a BlackMagic that could handle rendering in the card (at least in theory).
If you look in FC's System settings > Effects Handling, you will see that you can chose "effects handled by..". When I had the BM, the card was an option. With my actual AJA, i don't have but "Final Cut" and "None".
In the other hand, having "Video Playback" set to any external device or a even a second monitor, may reduce performance because FC will dedicate some resources to manage the device/screen. Same happens for every kind of window that you may have open.
So, unless your BM can help you to render faster, to make sure that FC dedicates all his power to rendering (RAM and GPU), the best way is to have open only the basic FC interface and only the sequence you are rendering.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Ransom
on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:26:10 pm

Thanks for responding Rafael

through my testing trying to get the system going I had only FCP open with 1 project/sequence

my main thing is the blackmagic card connects to a external screen which the editor uses to do grading and colour correction on

If we turns off the preview device the rendering required is minimal but when he turns it on to check grading he did before he cant view the clips anymore as he just gets the "unrendered" message so he now has to render his timeline again just to be able to check everything on the screen (this second render can take anywhere between 1 to 2 days according to the estimate from FCP)

all the effects handling is set to be done by final cut pro as well

this is also quite a powerful Mac Pro (8 cores with 8GB ram connected to a SAN environment over Fibre) so i would have thought he would have virtually no memory issues

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:19:23 pm

Which codec is your footage and sequence?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]