FORUMS: list search recent posts

Un-nesting in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Neethling
Un-nesting in Final Cut Pro
on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:35:44 pm

Evening all,

I'm having a couple of problems with a Final Cut Pro (7) file. I've finished editing my film (which is about 74 minutes long) and each scene is contained in a nest, approx 25 of which make up the time line that is the final film.

I want to export an OMF to go to protools for the sound mix, so I've checked the forum and apparently the best way of doing this, is to copy the contents of the nest, go back to the timeline, delete the original nest and paste the nest content in the nest's original place. I was happy doing this until I copied the content of a particular nest, went back to the timeline, deleted the original nest, and pasted. At this point, the content of the nest overspilled onto (overwriting) the next nest on the timeline.

I have no idea why this could have happened. I would have thought that the space the nest takes up on the timeline is driven by the nest content. From what is happening on my timeline, it appears that the nest content is longer than the space the nest is taking up in the timeline.

I tried it again, double checking that the player head is butted up against where the nest started, and the same thing happened.

I'm completely stumped, do you guys know why this might be happening, and more importantly, how I can fix it?!

Thank you in advance for your help in this, I really appreciate it!

Johan

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
Re: Un-nesting in Final Cut Pro
on Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05:29 pm

There may be lead-in, or tail-out in the original sequence. Also it is possible to cut sections out of a nested sequence in it's parent sequence, and not have that reflected in the original sequence (from which the nested sequence was taken).
Are you the original editor of the project?

It could be that speed modifications were made, or trimming/blade cuts were done to the nested sequence that are not present in the parent.

Not sure if this is helpful, but may help de-mystify the process.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Johan Neethling
Re: Un-nesting in Final Cut Pro
on Sep 3, 2012 at 12:57:03 pm

Thank you for such a prompt response Eric, I really appreciate it! I wasn't the original editor, but I managed to figure out what was causing the issue. I think the actual nest was blade cut which meant that the underlaying footage was longer.

Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]