FORUMS: list search recent posts

Movie Has Each Clip Cut In Half After Exporting In Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph McMahon
Movie Has Each Clip Cut In Half After Exporting In Final Cut
on Aug 29, 2012 at 4:52:00 am

Good evening,

I rented a Panasonic HD Camera and on my first venture into editing with this type of footage with Final Cut Pro I am running into a giant issue. I got the footage into Final Cut after getting a converter to switch from MTS to MOV. That was my only hiccup up until this point.

I have finished my project and I want to export a Quicktime File "Self Contained". My project (The Timeline) is 13 minutes but the Quicktime file is 6 1/2 minutes. When I export it this way it has each piece of footage in half. Every shot is cut exactly in half. It's not as if the movie looks great for 6 1/2 minutes and then shuts off. Each separate shot is cut in half.

I think it has something to do with my settings. The footage is 1440 x 1080 - 29.97 FPS. Does anyone have any idea what has been causing this? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Movie Has Each Clip Cut In Half After Exporting In Final Cut
on Aug 29, 2012 at 4:58:20 am

And what format of .MOV did you convert it to? MOV just means it's Quicktime...that's a container. Meaning it can hold any number of things. The things that Quicktime holds are CODECS. And there are only certain codecs that FCP works with. For that list, you go into the EASY SETUP and see. Typically, it is best to convert AVCHD (MTS) into ProRes.

If you didn't convert into an editing codec...that's your problem. non-editing codecs exhibit all sorts of odd behavior

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph McMahon
on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:02:51 am

Hello Shane,

It's possible that my switch into MOV did not have the correct editing calibration for Final Cut. I usually use a DSLR that has AVI that I just switch into Pro Res with Compressor. I couldn't figure out a smooth way to get these MTS files to be MOV as Compressor was not accepting the MTS files. Do you have a good suggestion on how to move from MTS to MOV so that I can smoothly transition into Final Cut editing?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:45:29 am

FCP's built in LOG AND TRANSFER deals with AVCHD footage. Tutorial here:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

ClipWrap2 also converts to ProREs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph McMahon
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:22:26 pm

ClipWrap definitely seems like the way to go. The free converter I used did a decent job but there is a loss in quality and the relationship with Final Cut is not very clean. Thanks for the help!!

Return to posts index

Joseph McMahon
on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:11:36 am

Hello Shane. It looks like you have addressed some similar issues before with transferring MTS to MOV. My issue felt more unique but I think if I start over with a clean MOV file that will translate into Final Cut that it should solve my problem. Thanks for reaching out so quickly. I will look in past columns to get a good idea of how to convert MTS to MOV. Thanks again!!

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:50:38 am

Just a reminder. If you are exporting to a drive, make sure that the drive is NOT formatted as FAT 32. It will have limitations on file size.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]